• September 19th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on September 19th, 2005 · Comments (12)

Bubbalicious!

It’s been a long time since I can remember feeling this happy for someone having a moment on a ball field – like I felt for Crosby tonight. In the YES post-game, Bubba said that he’s never hit a walk-off homer in his life – not even in Little League. It’s awesome with a capital “A” that he gets to do it now, given the situation, and the location. It’s a memory that he will have forever. Good for him. The Mattingly-induced new stroke is working for Bubba. He’s batting .379 in 13 games this month. And, also on the YES post-game, Torre said that “he’s become a regular part of this thing.” What a wonderful story.

Even though the Yankees have been saying for a week-plus now that this is our post-season, tonight’s game was the first one for me that had that true play-off feel. And, despite the stellar picthing of Obi Wang (nine assists for him and just one fly ball allowed!), I was feeling uneasy watching this game with all the runners that the Yankees were leaving on base.

What a wonderful win. And, tonight, Bubba and Wang sent a message to Torre – “We can play and shine under big pressure.” This is what happens on championship teams – the Wangs, Crosbys, Smalls, etc., of the world come out of nowhere and play big roles. These are good signs.

And, thank you Devil Rays! The Yankees magic number is now 14. Any combination of Boston losses and Yankees wins that equal 14 means the Yankees will win the A.L. East. And, there are 13 games to go.

Lastly, has anyone ever seen a baseball player as big as Walter Young before? Six-five, three-twenty-two? I would imagine that when he goes to a restaurant, he looks at the menu and says “Okay!”

Comments on September 19th vs. The Orioles

1. Jen
      September 19th, 2005 | 11:26 pm

Figures that the one game I couldn’t go to this week was this one:-)

Anyway, Yay Bubba!

2. September 19th, 2005 | 11:40 pm

Jen, sorry to hear that! Consider it taking one for the team.

3. Jen
      September 19th, 2005 | 11:52 pm

Believe me, I could use the rest.

4. DFLNJ
      September 20th, 2005 | 8:04 am

So now who comes out of the rotation now? I had heard the YES guys talking about Wang being the odd man out when Mussina comes back. Seems like a bad idea at this point. Mussina for long relief?

5. James Varghese
      September 20th, 2005 | 8:21 am

Why wouldn’t it be Wright towards the pen? Of all the starters, he’s been the most inconsistent lately right? Course, if he would be a good fit is a good question.

September 20th, 2005 | 9:34 am

=========================

I’d say Wright. At least that’s what I would do

7. Jason O.
      September 20th, 2005 | 9:49 am

Q: What must be done to make the season ending series meaningless, i.e., to be up at least 3.5 games?
      A: Win 9 of their next 10.

The Yanks can win the division in the next 8-10 days.
      If Lou’s crew jumps on CS tonight, it could be sooner.

8. September 20th, 2005 | 10:24 am

Mussina is such a creature of habit that he’ll never survive the pen work. So, I think the post-season rotation will be Unit, Moose, Chacon and Wang – - with Wright and Small in the wings when Mussina has to come out after 89 pitches.

9. September 20th, 2005 | 11:11 am

Well, let’s not forget Moose’s 3 innings of scoreless relief in game 7 of the ALCS. Including getting out of the 1st and 3rd jam he inherited without giving up a run. Without that performance, the curse probably ends a year earlier. Moose is a great pitcher and he could be relief if we needed him to be.

That said, I think Moose should be in the rotation. He’s got a proven track record in the postseason. The 6-6 record isn’t important, the 3.16 ERA in 119 and 2/3 postseason innings is what I look at. If he’s healthy, he’s got to get the ball. I like your suggested rotation. I think Randy, Moose and Wang are basically no brainers. The only one that makes me ponder a bit is the 4th one. But, I think I’d go with Chacon.

September 20th, 2005 | 11:19 am

Anyone else catch Bubba “stylin’” after the HR? :D

11. September 20th, 2005 | 11:29 am

In the world of today’s hot dogs, that was nada

September 20th, 2005 | 3:02 pm

In the world of today’s hot dogs, that was nada
      ======

Nah, it was cool. He stood there like he’s done it before :D