• September 20th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on September 20th, 2005 · Comments (24)

The good news: How many times do you allow 18 hits, 2 walks, and make an error in a game and win?

The bad news: When you’re winning 10-3 after five, you probably should be able to close the game out without using your primary set-up man and your closer. The use of Mo in this game was very disturbing – especially since he was warmed, then sat down, and then later brought up again to come into the game.

Related, just what is the deal with Ramiro Mendoza? He hasn’t been used in three weeks. If he’s not able to throw, just why was he activated at all? And, hearing the stats on YES tonight about Leiter against LH batters as a Yankee (it was something like 0 BB and HR allowed), it’s time to start using him as a LOOGY and forget about Alan Embree.

Aw, what the hey? The important thing is the “W” tonight. Just keep on keeping on, that’s the thing. Who cares if it’s pretty and/or pristine at this stage? In the end, it doesn’t matter – as long as you win.

I guess those reports of Sheffield not being to hit for power were not spot on, huh?

And, that bomb from A-Rod in the 8th, well, I’ve been watching games since 1973 and I cannot ever remember seeing a RH batter go upper-tank at the Stadium before. That’s power.

The Yankees magic number is now 13. Any combination of Boston losses and Yankees wins that equal 13 means the Yankees will win the A.L. East. And, there are 12 games to go.

It’s a big game for Randy Johnson tomorrow. His ERA of 3.60 for September (to date) is the best mark that he’s posted for any month so far this season. Ditto his opponent’s batting average of .185 this month. He needs to keep pace with that now.

Comments on September 20th vs. The Orioles

1. Don
      September 21st, 2005 | 2:27 am

I fear MO will have very little in the tank if this team makes the post season. Heck, how much will MO have in Boston next week? Gordon is always on the brink and the rest of the bullpen, except perhaps Sturtze, is unreliable.

2. Bozo
      September 21st, 2005 | 8:10 am

Sturtze is not reliable either, he is hot or cold. I like the idea of Leiter as a LOOGY, is there time to try this out?

3. James Varghese
      September 21st, 2005 | 8:20 am

I don’t think that it’s a matter of time…it’s a matter of will they/won’t they…I vote won’t. Why do I think this…hmmm, could it be the fact that they continue to trot out this Red Sox reject out there. He was once a good pitcher – a very good situational lefty…but he’s not that anymore or at least isn’t that this season. This should have been addressed a while ago when it was shown that he stunk…not now, when he has repeatedly proven his incompetence against batters on both sides of the plate.

Oh Buddy, where for are thou? (Actually, we need more of a old school 96-98 graeme lloyd type).

4. James Varghese
      September 21st, 2005 | 8:39 am

P.s. Just my prediction & it’s probably moo
      (you know, like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter…it’s moo)

BUT Kazmir will shut down the Red Sox offense tonight. Wakefield will do the same for the most part on the Rays but TB will score just enough to win and Borowski & Baez will nail down a close game.

While this is happening, the Yankees will win – they’ll get good hits off Lopez and while they will leave a good amount of runners on the bases, they will still score enough. Yankees relievers will actually have a good game tonight and tomorrow morning, the Yanks will be in first place and there will be much weeping & gnashing of teeth in RSN.

5. JJay
      September 21st, 2005 | 9:07 am

“I like the idea of Leiter as a LOOGY, is there time to try this out?”

I say you have to. No question about it. After Embree giving up that run in Toronto that turned out to be the game winner and that attempt at Major League pitching he gave last night more or less resembled diarrhea.

At this point, if the Yankees make the playoffs there is NO WAY he should be on the roster.

6. JJay
      September 21st, 2005 | 9:11 am

September 21st, 2005 | 9:22 am

Yeah, where is Mendoza? Or Jorge DePaula for that matter?

This is part of what I alluded to yesterday. You can’t have the hammer over Baltimore & Toronto and let them back into the game.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that Proctor will play a bigger role next season? I can see him sticking with the team next season. Same with Bubba Crosby (4th OF).

On the O’s side, why wasn’t Walter Young playing 1b last night? It’s Sept, the O’s are out of it, they need to give the kids as much ABs as they can. Though it woulda been a bit scary to see Bubba collide with him like he did Roberts (I hope he’s ok)

I can’t remember anyone going opp-field upper deck either. I’m suprised Elias didn’t mention anything about that, they’re usually pretty good about providing that sort of information.

Leiter as a LOOGY? Sure, why not. Maybe he won’t walk so many?

8. September 21st, 2005 | 9:33 am

Yeah, this is why you can’t take Sheff’s bat out of the lineup.

On Embree, I agree. He’s good for nothing at this point than taking an inning here or an inning there in a blowout. That’s it. He’s only good for saving someone else. He leads the league in appearances without making an out. (I don’t know if he does, I’m only joking).

I’m all for trying anyone else there. Ramiro, Leiter (suggested that to someone last night), etc. It can’t get much worse.

9. September 21st, 2005 | 10:07 am

//Steve, I’m not disputing your post but you said it was “something like 0 BB and 0 HR allowed”. The HR’s I can buy but the walks? That’s hard to believe given how many guys he seems to walk.//

I swear, I’m 100% positive that they said he has not walked a LH batter as a Yankee – because when I heard it, I too was shocked.

10. September 21st, 2005 | 10:18 am
    11. September 21st, 2005 | 10:53 am

Thanks Patrick!

12. JJay
      September 21st, 2005 | 11:39 am

Okay, Patrick knows this (whom I assume is not affiliated with any MLB teams) and Stottlemeyer and Torre don’t?

Or do they and they ignore it? Stuff like this just boggles me.

13. September 21st, 2005 | 12:13 pm

The guys in the YES booth knew it. Maybe Kim Jones can slip Joe a note in gym class?

September 21st, 2005 | 12:19 pm

Or do they and they ignore it? Stuff like this just boggles me.
      ============================

I’m sure they ignore it.

It’s the same logic that gets a “proven veteran” more playing time than an “untested rookie.” Or a hard thrower more looks than someone who doesn’t thow as hard.

Old baseball traditions die hard. I’m glad the Astros are cleaning up with short pitchers (who some claim are too small to withstand the rigors of starting…)

15. rbj
      September 21st, 2005 | 12:30 pm

Aren’t there some guys in Joisey who could “take care of” Embree? And maybe they can take Gordon and Rivera for a ride tonight. Out to a nice dinner somewhere far away from the stadium, so that Torre can’t use them.

16. September 21st, 2005 | 12:31 pm

LOL rbj.

I’ll call Uncle Jun.

17. JohnnyC
      September 21st, 2005 | 12:42 pm

18. Jen
      September 21st, 2005 | 12:55 pm

Yes, rbj there are.

They also “take care of” people who call is Joisey. :-)

19. September 21st, 2005 | 1:04 pm

lol.

20. September 21st, 2005 | 1:25 pm

//Hate to interrupt the pro-forma Jeter-hating but Derek hit an opposite field upper tank job against Texas on August 12th of this year at the Stadium. How soon they forget.//

I did forget. I must be getting old.

21. Jen
      September 21st, 2005 | 1:52 pm

It was the game-winner even. And if I’m not mistaken, he hit the game winner the previous night in the same spot.

22. rbj
      September 21st, 2005 | 2:11 pm

Jen I was boin in Ridgewood, just figured I’d t’row in a little Brooklynese.

23. September 21st, 2005 | 2:29 pm

Amazingly, neither you (Jen) or I made mention of the upper deck shot in our notes of that game.

24. Jen
      September 21st, 2005 | 3:01 pm

I think there was too much other drama going on with the pitching that I glossed over it.