• There’s No Place Like………..

Posted by on September 26th, 2005 · Comments (7)

From Lupica today:

“Four million to the 4-4,” said Joe Flannino, the big guy with the handlebar mustache who works security for the Yankees, at home and on the road.

Flannino is an ex-New York City policeman, and once worked in this part of the Bronx, in the 44th Precinct, which he still calls the “4-4.”

“Four million fans to watch baseball in the 4-4,” he said again in the parking lot, as more players kept arriving. Tino Martinez. Jorge Posada. Chien-Ming Wang, yesterday’s starter, another surprise star of the season. “Who would have ever believed it?”

On Saturday, Knicks coach Larry Brown stood in back of Steinbrenner’s suite and looked out at the crowd and the day.

“They started 11-19, right?”

“Eleven and 19.”

“And they still drew four million fans?”

He was told they sure had.

“There’s no place like this,” Brown said.

Yup.

Comments on There’s No Place Like………..

1. Shaun P.
      September 26th, 2005 | 12:18 pm

Can the attendance trend continue to go UP next year? Can they possibly draw even MORE fans?

Unless, of course, they win it all. =)

2. September 26th, 2005 | 12:49 pm

I think the Unit trade this winter, and the sales that followed, helped them get the 4 mill. Plus, it was a pretty dry summer in NYC. They may never touch that number again.

3. Jen
      September 26th, 2005 | 1:08 pm

I believe there was an increase in season ticket packages as well this year. Plus they seemed to have more $5 nights than usual.

I can see them getting close to that number in the final year of the Stadium.

4. September 26th, 2005 | 1:19 pm

It will be impossible to get a ticket for a game in the last three months of the last year, no question.

5. Shaun P.
      September 26th, 2005 | 7:35 pm

SL, that’s a great point – makes me think that, despite living outside of Boston, I’d have to seriously consider a partial season-ticket package for the Stadium’s last season. Otherwise I might not be able to say good-bye.

Meanwhile, having just drawn over 4 million fans, we do we need a new stadium again? =)

6. September 26th, 2005 | 8:17 pm

I have no doubt that everyone who is against the new Stadium will love it in time, some very quickly, once it’s here.

Shaun – let me know, assuming I keep my package, there’s always games to be sold.

September 26th, 2005 | 10:06 pm

=====================================

Yeah, not enough luxury boxes :p

IMO, the renovation doesn’t count as a “new” stadium