• Curt’s Not Loved?

Posted by on September 27th, 2005 · Comments (15)

Will he be too upset to pitch against the Yankees?

From the Boston Globe:

Curt Schilling is in pain, the worst of his 20 years in professional baseball. He hurts inside, as do his wife, Shonda, and their children who are old enough to sense his anguish.

Less than a year after Schilling risked his career to help the Red Sox capture their first world championship in 86 years, he is plagued by the guilt and despair of failing to fulfill the expectations of his fans and teammates. It also hurts that at least one teammate has suggested that Schilling has unfairly escaped the public wrath that other Sox players have endured for their disappointing performances.

“Purely on a professional level, this year has been by far the hardest for me of my career,” Schilling said. “It has been very, very painful.”

“Somebody on this team wants me to get booed to make them feel better, and that really bothers me a lot,” said Schilling, 38, who hopes to pitch two more years.

Citing the lack of a public backlash against Schilling for his subpar season — the Sox ace is 7-8 with a 5.89 ERA — the player was quoted as saying, “When he comes into the game, people cheer him like he’s the Pope? You think they’d let Pedro [Martinez] get away with this? Why does he get a free pass?”

Schilling made no secret of his anger at the criticism, even if it came, as he suggested, from ”somebody who’s not wired right.”

“As much time as we spend together, you think you know someone,” he said. “But more times than not you find you really don’t.”

Curt forgot to mention that he is convinced that his mate on the Sox, who wants him booed, got 30 pieces of silver in payment for making those bad statements against him.

Comments on Curt’s Not Loved?

1. Jen
      September 27th, 2005 | 1:54 pm

//he suggested, from ”somebody who’s not wired right.”//

Hmmm… I wonder who it could be. I got my money on Millar.

2. Jason O.
      September 27th, 2005 | 1:55 pm

SL, No offense for getting off topic, but can someone tell why on God’s green earth Reed Johnson is not in the lineup this afternoon? Insane numbers against the Sox this year, and he rides pine?

Was Gibbons ever in the Red Sox organization??

3. September 27th, 2005 | 2:06 pm

Probably a batter/pitcher match-up thing.

Jen – funny, I figured Manny. But, then, Manny doesn’t speak to the press. So, that wouldn’t work. Gotta be someone tight with Pedro. Big Papi?

4. Athos
      September 27th, 2005 | 2:19 pm

To me… it had Foulke written all over it…

5. September 27th, 2005 | 2:21 pm

That fits – he was great in the post-season too, and got fried this year, plus, he’s got a big stupid mouth. That works.

6. Jen
      September 27th, 2005 | 2:32 pm

I figured it would have to be someone who got booed for sucking this year. Foulke is a good choice too.

7. hopbitters
      September 27th, 2005 | 2:59 pm

My guess is that Curt made the statement himself, so he’d have something to reply to and the rest of the world would be graced by his dulcet voice once again.

8. Jen
      September 27th, 2005 | 3:09 pm

I wonder if we refer to Curt as gehrig38 we can summon him.

9. September 27th, 2005 | 3:16 pm

You guys are funny!
      The suspects so far are: Millar, Damon, Manny, and Foulke. Wouldn’t it be funny if it was someone like Varitek?

September 27th, 2005 | 4:23 pm

Can’t be Foulke, he hasn’t been there long enough to understand the fans/Pedro dynamic.

11. Paul in Boston
      September 27th, 2005 | 4:25 pm

Foulke is probably the #1 suspect, with Millar #2. Of course Wells is capable of saying stuff just like this, only he’d never say it anonymously!

12. Shaun P.
      September 27th, 2005 | 4:35 pm

Was Trot a buddy of Pedro? Another guy who’s known his share of injuries . . .

What if its Wakefield?! He’s been around long enough to have seen what happened to every recent Sox ‘star’ who was hurt/injured and then didn’t play well – including the Rocket.

13. JeremyM
      September 27th, 2005 | 8:51 pm

I thought Foulke when I first read it. It absolutely has to be him, the pieces fit to me. Folk is one of the most childish guys I’ve seen in a while.

September 27th, 2005 | 11:11 pm

=================

Maybe, but

1. How or what would he know about Pedro’s relationship with the fans? That’s not something you would pick up in a year.

2. Given Foulke’s season, and the way things have been, wouldn’t the press give him up?

3. Will someone in the bullpen get a berkleying out? kee-ripes!

4. There has been a Jorge DePaula sighting

15. MJ
      September 28th, 2005 | 10:10 am

If I had to bet, I’d say Damon. He already trashed Curt and the team once during the whole Curt-as-closer thing and Damon, who is loving his new celebrity status probably doesn’t like that Curt overshadows him. Just my thought.

What amazes me is that the press hasn’t outed the source of the quote. When Schilling says that no one likes ARod in the Yankee clubhouse (information that I have not seen confirmed anywhere), everyone treats it as gospel. Schilling, however, has had his share of haters in every clubhouse he’s ever been in and yet the press keeps mum on who might have said it. Goddamn that makes me mad.