• Alan Embree

Posted by on September 28th, 2005 · Comments (7)

To date, Alan Embree has pitched in 23 games for the Yankees – totaling 14 IP. He’s allowed 23 base runners and 12 earned runs in those 14 IP. Prior to coming to New York, Embree performed at the same poor level when he was with the Red Sox this season (which lead to his release from Boston).

Some recent news on Embree in the CT Post:

But when pressed on Tuesday, Torre said he’d likely carry 10 pitchers if the Yankees make the playoffs. He expects that at least one pitcher would be a lefty reliever.

The candidates are Alan Embree and Al Leiter, both of whom have been inconsistent.

Embree allowed three runs in the ninth inning of Monday’s 11-3 victory, but was encouraged with the way he threw the ball.

“If I go out with that kind of stuff for the rest of the year, something good has to happen,” Embree said.

Torre was encouraged by reports from catcher John Flaherty about Embree’s stuff. But the manager remained noncommittal about a possible postseason roster spot for Embree.

“I want him to be,” Torre said, “I’ll leave it at that.”

If I go out with that kind of stuff for the rest of the year, something good has to happen.

Good for who Alan? Good for who?

Comments on Alan Embree

1. rbj
      September 28th, 2005 | 3:44 pm

Whom ;-).
      Not the Yankees, or me, or my stomach. Maybe he still thinks of himself as a Red Sox. At this point, Leiter has shown he can pitch one inning/game effectively, just don’t send him out for a second.

2. MJ
      September 28th, 2005 | 3:51 pm

Certainly not good for us.

My question is, what is our postseason roster*?

Hitters: Posada, Flaherty, Giambi, Martinez, Cano, Womack, Jeter, Rodriguez, Matsui, Williams, Sheffield, Sierra, Crosby

Pitchers: Johnson, Mussina, Chacon, Small, Wang, Wright, Rivera, Gordon, Sturtze, Leiter

The above represents Joe’s choice for 10 pitchers and leaves 2 spots open for Escalona and Bellhorn as infield insurance for Jeter and ARod. But can Torre really only go with 10 pitchers? Since Womack can play second and short and Escalona can play short and third, do we really need to carry Bellhorn? Can’t we leave him out and bring either Embree or Proctor with us to October? The way I see it, we need arms in case we have another game like last night where we throw over 200 pitches.

*Caveat being if we even make it to postseason :-(

3. September 28th, 2005 | 4:48 pm

I think Bellhorn makes it. Felix does not – and then Joe takes an 11th pitcher.

4. September 28th, 2005 | 7:10 pm

Just wrote about this. My postseason roster:

Hitters: Posada, Martinez, Cano, Rodriguez, Jeter, Matsui, Williams, Sheffield, Giambi, Flaherty, Bellhorn, Lawton, Crosby and Sierra.

Pitchers: Johnson, Mussina, Wang, Chacon, Rivera, Gordon, Sturtze, Leiter, Rodriguez, Wright and Small.

5. September 28th, 2005 | 10:53 pm

No way can Rodriguez be on the roster – it would be too tempting for Torre to pull a “2003 Weaver” and use him.

6. September 28th, 2005 | 11:26 pm

I believe he should based upon what he’s done in the past, what he’s done in the postseason and what he’s done this year. He hasn’t been very good this year, admitedly but he’s a solid end of the bullpen guy in my opinion. Lefties are hitting .256 off him and righties are hitting .267 against him. Compare that to Embree and Wright (I have Wright on the roster). You can make a case for Proctor, who has been great against righties while lefties have killed him. But, he doesn’t have the postseason experience of Rodriguez (3.32 ERA in 21 and 2/3 innings). All things considered, “no way” seems a bit strong. Unless you are going with 10 pitchers.

September 29th, 2005 | 9:20 am

Given the starting staff, and the fact that any one of the members can go down at any time, I’d say you HAVE to have Rodriguez in the pen. Have him fill the Jay Witasick role in 2001