• September 28th @ The Orioles

Posted by on September 28th, 2005 · Comments (8)

Once again, the story is Shawn Chacón. As much as Chien-Ming has been Obi Wang this season, Shawn has been “Neo Chacón.”

Ever since Morpheus Cashman freed him from the Baseball Matrix in Colorado, Chacón has been “The One.”

It was also great to see Mo get the save tonight only using 9 pitches.

Of course, a huge thanks has to go out tonight to Frankie The Cat and Ted Lilly. It must be nice for Lilly to win in Fenway at a time like this – when it was just two years ago that the Boston Bush Leaguers had his name taped to the backs of the jackets in an attempt to get the crowd at Fenway to sing-song his name and try and rattle him.

With the Yankees now up by one game, with four to go, it means that – at the worst – New York would need to win 2 of 3 in Fenway this weekend to take the A.L. East (and not a sweep to clinch). Further, with a win tomorrow – regardless of what Boston does on Thursday – New York would then only need one win in Fenway to lock in a tie for the East.

Throw in the Cleveland loss tonight – which gives a little breathing room in the Wildcard chase, if needed – and it’s just been a very nice night in Yankeeland.

Now, it’s up to Small Hobbs to keep moving the chains tomorrow.

Comments on September 28th @ The Orioles

1. JeremyM
      September 29th, 2005 | 12:23 am

Has a movie ever been ruined more by it’s awful sequels then the Matrix? Yikes. I hope the Red Sox feel the same way about their championship last season after this weekend;) OK, that’s a bit of a reach… This season is so bizarre- I got nothing but bad vibes yesterday after the blowout, despite our competition losing, and then we have a good night tonight. Now I’m getting no vibes at all. Hope Small comes up big, but I think our offense is going to have to run the table tomorrow- let’s hope they’re up to the task.

2. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 8:33 am

I have another name for Shawn Chacon. I like calling him Shawn “David” Cha-Cone. Somehow, I just think back to when we got Coney from Toronto for guys we’d never hear from again and how big Coney was for us after that. Obviously that’s a huge stretch but I’m inclined to say that Shawn Chacon’s past performances in Denver aside, the kid obviously knows how to pitch. He moves his ball around, changes speeds, uses a variety of bends and breaks on his balls to get outs. The clincher for me is that he’s not afraid to let ‘em hit it to his fielders. Something that Al Leiter and the bullpen guys should think about from time to time — ARod, Jeter, they’re not so bad with the glove. Try using ‘em.

Here’s hoping that Aaron “Pettitte” Small brings his game tonight. Boy I’d love to see Matt Clement get lit up in Boston while Small does his usual quiet 6 innings. It would give us some breathing room.

3. JJay
      September 29th, 2005 | 9:36 am

I’m pretty confident with the Jays smacking Clement around. I just think that Boston is gonna break out the big bats too.

Either way, Boston’s pitching looks absolutely putrid right now.

4. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 10:06 am

I don’t want to knock Boston’s pitching because we have the world’s worst bullpen outside of Mariano Rivera. When Proctor, Rodriguez and Franklin come in and walk, walk, walk runs home, we can’t talk crap about someone else’s staff. Also, and I hate to say this, Mussina vs. Schilling on Sunday makes me absolutely vomiticious. I can’t stand the thought of Boston’s big boy out there against our JV “ace” Mussina.

No, I think the Yanks and Bosox are in a dead-heat for worst pitching situations among playoff teams.

5. September 29th, 2005 | 10:40 am

Yanks mission is clear: Win 3 of the next 4.
      And, then everything will be golden.

6. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 11:38 am

It’s now up to Small, Wang and RJ to bring us where we want to be. I do NOT want to leave it to Mussina on Sunday.

7. September 29th, 2005 | 12:07 pm

Ditto that.

8. Don
      September 29th, 2005 | 1:53 pm

That would be a Small Wang Unit.