• Mike Stanton To The Red Sox

Posted by on September 29th, 2005 · Comments (8)

From the AP:

The Red Sox acquired left-hander Mike Stanton from the Washington Nationals on Thursday for right-handers Rhys Taylor and Yader Peralta.

Boston’s trade means Stanton could wind up pitching this weekend against his former team, the New York Yankees. If the Red Sox advance to the playoffs, Stanton would not be eligible for the post-season roster.

Stanton, who is 38, started the season with the Yankees and was cut June 30 after going 1-2 with a 7.08 ERA in 14 innings over 28 relief appearances. He signed with Washington on July 13 and went 2-1 with a 3.58 ERA in 27 2-3 innings over 30 games.

Geesh, I hope Mike doesn’t show them the Yankees secret handshake.

Comments on Mike Stanton To The Red Sox

1. September 29th, 2005 | 3:49 pm

Interesting. Embree vs. Stanton. The matchup we all want to see!

2. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 4:27 pm

Actually I’m a bit worried about this. Stanton pitched quite well in Washington. If he found his form, we could be sorry.

3. JJay
      September 29th, 2005 | 4:40 pm

That’s it! Pack it in! Season’s over. :(

4. September 29th, 2005 | 5:27 pm

Let’s put it this way, if the Yankees lose to the Red Sox because they failed against Mike Stanton in a big spot, they deserve to lose.

Mike was a very, very, good RP for a long time. But, at this stage of his career, I don’t see how he can impact three games – unless the Yankees let him.

5. September 29th, 2005 | 7:30 pm

This is a desperation move. It’s just too funny. I can’t wait to see what the locals here in Boston have to say about it tomorrow.

And I agree with you Steve – if Stanton makes the difference in the weekend series, it’s the Yankees’ fault, not Stanton’s.

(Great blog – thanks for sending me the link.)

6. JeremyM
      September 29th, 2005 | 11:30 pm

Stanton told Ortiz to hit a homer and then a single tonight–he’s already paying off for them.

Damn, I was sure hoping the Jays would hold on, but I was kidding myself thinking it could be that easy. Actually, I figured we’d be up 2 going in and lose 3 straight, giving us 2 nightmare endings in a row.

7. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 11:38 pm

Is that to say you’re predicting the BoSox to sweep the series and finish us off on Sunday?

8. JeremyM
      September 29th, 2005 | 11:56 pm

No, I don’t trust my gut anymore. It told me we’d win game 5 in the ALCS last year, then game 6, and then game 7. If we win one game, and Cleveland loses at least one, it will really get interesting, won’t it.

I can’t think of anything worse, baseball-wise, than the Yankees getting swept this series. One, that means Wells and Schilling have beaten the Yanks. Two, well, there doesn’t need to be a two. That’s enough. It’s bad enough to lose, but if Wells and Schilling are the guys doing it, I’ll be suicidal.