• The Toronto Factor

Posted by on September 29th, 2005 · Comments (9)

On August 5th, I wrote:

The key team in all of this might just be the Toronto Blue Jays. Starting tonight, the Yankees play the Blue Jays 13 times from here until the end of the season. And, Boston has to play them 7 times. Toronto is trying to get into the AL East race as well. So, they will be up for these games.

When it’s all said and done, it will be interesting to see how New York and Boston did with these Toronto games – and how it impacts the final standings.

After tonight, we’ll have the final tally.

The Jays went just 4-9 against the Yankees in those 13 games. But, so far, they’re 3-3 against the Red Sox – with one game left (this evening).

On the whole this season, Toronto went 6-12 versus New York and is 11-6 against Boston (to date).

Both pitchers for the Jays-Sox game slated at Fenway tonight have struggled this month. It could be one of those softball-score-affairs. Yankees fans can just cross their fingers and hope that Toronto can win just one more against Boston this season.

Comments on The Toronto Factor

1. Shaun P.
      September 29th, 2005 | 1:21 pm

Very prophetic, SL. Care to predict tonight’s outcomes? ;)

2. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 1:29 pm

My fingers are crossed and re-crossed.

While critics were quick to point out the Yanks’ failings against Tampa (which critics were completely justified!), Boston’s struggles against Toronto has remained almost a footnote.

I’m rooting for Toronto and Boston to get into a game like the one we had on Tuesday night where both teams get into the bullpen early. I’d love it if Toronto wins 11-9. I’d love it even more if Small gets through 8 and Mo only has to come in for 3 batters to seal the deal.

3. September 29th, 2005 | 1:40 pm

I’d guess on tonight, ifnot for the fear of the whammy.

MJ – that would be sweet.

4. rbj
      September 29th, 2005 | 2:12 pm

Complete game shutout for Small.
      20-17 win for Toronto (missed extra point), using up the bullpen and tiring out the hitters. Let Papi hit 3 dingers in a losing effort.

5. Jason O.
      September 29th, 2005 | 2:12 pm

SL, of course this is all assuming the Yanks TCB in Bal-ti-more.

I just had to say that to appease Fortune.

6. JJay
      September 29th, 2005 | 2:27 pm

Clement is awful this year against Toronto. In three starts he is 0-2 with an 8.66 ERA.

September 29th, 2005 | 2:52 pm

=========

3-hit CG shutout, anyone? (:

8. MJ
      September 29th, 2005 | 3:38 pm

Screw Clement. I can’t worry about what he’ll do or won’t do. Everyone in this blogosphere needs to puke up blood and guts to will the Yanks to win tonight. We need this win. Let Boston’s chips fall where they may. I want to go into Boston knowing that we took 3 of 4 from Baltimore and did our part.

Aaron Small, don’t wake up yet, pal. Keep the dream alive for us.

September 29th, 2005 | 10:00 pm