• Pitching Keys

Posted by on September 30th, 2005 · Comments (11)

In his last 9 games, the Red Sox Jonathan Papelbon has an ERA of 1.46. Somehow, the Yankees need to solve this kid over the weekend. If not, they could have an issue.

The Yankees will also have an issue if they use Embree, Felix Rodriguez, or Proctor in any of these games against Boston. They are like pouring gasoline on a fire. Even Sturtze is bad news for the New York these days – his ERA in his last 9 games in 7.88.

Back to Boston pitching, Chad Bradford has been a human batting tee in the last week or so – if he gets into a game, the Yankees need to pound him. And, who knows what Craig Hansen will provide Boston? He’s a big wildcard in this series.

As far as the starting pitcher match-ups for this series, this is what we’re looking at:

Tonight: Wang, with an ERA of 4.44 in his last 4 starts, against Wells, with an ERA of 6.14 in his last 4 starts. The Yankees must win this game.

Tomorrow: Johnson, with an ERA of 2.17 in his last 5 starts, against Wakefield, with an ERA of 1.99 in his last 5 starts. Wear two pairs of underwear when you’re watching this game.

Sunday: Mussina, with an ERA of 5.87 in his last 2 starts, against Schilling, with an ERA of 4.46 in his last 5 starts.

It might just come down to that final game on Sunday – which presents an interesting situation for the Yankees and Joe Torre. If New York has a lead in this game, and needs to bridge to Gordon and Rivera, what do you do? Bring in the duds in your pen? Or, do you try and get extra innings out of Gordon and Mo? Or, do you bring in someone good, like Chacón, and play as if there’s no tomorrow – when there could be a tomorrow in the Bronx on Monday? It’s going to be a second-guesser’s delight.

Comments on Pitching Keys

1. JJay
      September 30th, 2005 | 11:30 am

Pappelbon is not available tonight so that’s a plus for the Yankees. Hansen doesn’t scare me in the least. Maybe he will in 2 or 3 years but not right now.

I don’t know what to do with the pen to be honest. Gordon might puke his guts out if it’s a tight game. Mo is fine. “Whatever it takes,” is what Mo said in regards to his workload and I’m on board with that.

What about Wright? Can he come in for long relief?

2. September 30th, 2005 | 11:33 am

Only if they have a big lead. His 1st inning woes don’t translate well to being a RP.

3. September 30th, 2005 | 11:39 am

If we need to win, that last game needs to be played like there is no tomorrow. Sunday, I’m looking at Mussina, Small, Gordon and Rivera. Chacon if absolutely neccessary, but hopefully not. If there is a Monday, I’m looking at Chacon, Johnson, Small (if he doesn’t pick Sunday) Gordon and Rivera.

But, I would prefer to just win the first two, of course.

4. MJ
      September 30th, 2005 | 12:04 pm

It’s all about the first two games. All about it. None of the pitching matchups are exactly in our favor but we’ll have to make do. Despite the fact that Wakefield has been on fire recently, this will be a start on 3 days rest. That isn’t to say that he won’t be sharp but I think there’s a chance he might be slightly more prone to less command. If Joe remembers anything about Wakefield, it should be that Mirabelli might miss a couple of balls. I want us to be aggressive against Wakefield. We need to run on him and run on him often. If we can force the issue maybe we can squeeze out an extra run or two that would otherwise not come to us.

5. MJ
      September 30th, 2005 | 12:08 pm

I forgot to end my last post with a question –

What would you rather have? Wakefield’s 1.99 ERA in his last five starts going on 3 days rest or RJ’s 2.17 ERA in his last 5 starts going on regular rest?

May RJ be in a particularly foul-tempered mood on Saturday. May he come in armed with his good fastball and his nasty slider. May he force the Red Sox lefites to wear that extra pair of undies.

6. September 30th, 2005 | 12:13 pm
    7. Shaun P.
      September 30th, 2005 | 12:29 pm

SL, I’m REALLY hoping that we don’t have to answer the question of play all-out on Sunday. I’m not sure how to even begin figuring it out.

Let’s hope Monday doesn’t become a holiday for the entire Northeast!

8. JJay
      September 30th, 2005 | 12:31 pm

I hope RJ is pissed. I hope RJ blows heat by everyone including Millar and stares them all down. I hope RJ brushes Ortiz off the plate. WAY off if need be.

Wakefield has been on lately but personally I’m not holding much weight on that. The Yanks got to him back in July and if the knuckler isn’t moving it’s Boone-City.

9. September 30th, 2005 | 12:31 pm

For what it’s worth, the Aaron Boone homer was on in relief on (even shorter) rest after 2 dominating starts….

10. rbj
      September 30th, 2005 | 12:38 pm

Tonight’s game is the one I feel best about. If Wang’s sinker is working, Papi’s going to be pounding craters in front of the pitching mound.

11. kevin y. kim
      September 30th, 2005 | 6:13 pm

I just want to see Wang set a record for assists by a pitcher.
      I’m nervous as hell and I’m not even playing.