• October 1st @ The Red Sox

Posted by on October 1st, 2005 · Comments (8)

I’ve never seen “We Were Soldiers” – but, now, I think I have to watch it.

Thank you Chicago White Sox – and thank you the rain of September 26th. For the 8th year in a row, the Boston Red Sox have now finished 2nd in the A.L. East, behind the New York Yankees.

I feel so smart today. On September 14th, I wrote:

I think this season is going to fall in between the 92 and 96. To make a prediction, I’m going with 95 – that’s how many wins it will take to win the A.L. East this season.

And, that’s what it took: 95 wins.

Here’s the stat for today: The only time that the Yankees had a lead with four games to go and failed to win was 1904 – and, then, they actually were the “Highlanders” and not the Yankees. And, thanks to today, that will not change for at least another year.

I thought that the Big Unit was as advertised today. Through two innings, he threw 51 pitches and I thought “He’s never going to last today.” But, he made it into the 8th inning (pitching on a day that Barnabas Collins would have loved) – only allowing 3 base runners after the second (with one of those being a fly ball by Ortiz that Williams “Bernied” into a double). And, this all after a start in the game where Johnson must have looked like Pam Anderson in the first two frames – considering how often the home plate ump squeezed him.

At the end of the day, it was a great game for the Yankees – lots of heroes to choose from – and it means they get to go to the dance through the front door.

If it were me, I’d start Mussina tomorrow anyway – and use Wright in relief – with the hope to force the Red Sox to have to play a wildcard play-in game on Monday. But, no matter how the Yankees handle that call – it really doesn’t matter. Today is a day for partying – and not thinking.

Lastly, shame on FOX with their “FOX Watch” in the bottom of the 4th today – causing Yankees and Red Sox fans to squint to watch the whole half-inning (including Sheffield’s great catch).

Go have fun tonight Yankees fans. It’s a stress-free zone for the next two days. Take advantage of it.

Comments on October 1st @ The Red Sox

1. rbj
      October 1st, 2005 | 5:17 pm

That Pam remark, ouch. S’okay though, what with winning the division and all. Two days to relax. The revamped rotation has done damn well.

2. October 1st, 2005 | 5:54 pm

WHOOOOOOO!!! CHAMPAGNE FOR ME TONIGHT!!
      I am giddy. I am psyched. There are no words!
      This season took years off of all our lives.

I just heard on the radio that they’re expecting ARod’s homerun ball to land sometime around 11:31 Monday morning.

Yes, damn that “FOX Watch”. I’m jumping out of my chair to see if Sheff made that phenomenal catch or if he just gave them an inside the park homer.

Cool to see Sheff and Torre interviewed and hear Sheff say it was special to do it at Fenway with how poorly he was treated. And think about it…ever since that incident earlier this year Sheff has MURDERED the Sox in Fenway. Destroyed them. Same for ARod.

Okay, I’m rambling now.

I’m with you Steve, “Sweep the leg. No mercy,”…start Mussina.

October 1st, 2005 | 7:36 pm

YAY!

IMO, I think the Yanks should start Moose & have Wright available in the pen. We need to see if Moose has anything, as well as keeping him on a schedule. If the Yanks are going to do anything, those two will have to pitch well

Besides, they can’t lay down to the Red Sox. It isn’t fair to the Indians.

4. hopbitters
      October 1st, 2005 | 8:23 pm

They also need the win to have a shot at the #2 seed.

5. October 1st, 2005 | 10:28 pm

Coming into today, the Yanks led the Angels by 1 game for the #2 seed. (The White Sox have the one spot locked up.) The Angels are winning their game tonight, as I write this, in the 7th inning. So, that would leave the Yanks one-up going into tomorrow. This means, the worst that could happen would be a tie. I have no idea what happens if they end up tied.

6. Shaun P.
      October 1st, 2005 | 10:51 pm

Hey, Texas has to win their last two (tonight and tomorrow) to finish at .500. That’s usually enough for Showalter to get the team motivated, right?

They still have 6 outs to go . . . having homefield against whoever we play in the 1st round will be key, methinks.

Steve, can’t tell you how happy I am now – but I’m sure I don’t have to. All Yankeefandom probably feels the same way right now. =)

7. Mike Z
      October 1st, 2005 | 11:09 pm

If the Yanks and Angels end up tied, the Angels would get home field advantage because they won the season series.

8. October 1st, 2005 | 11:39 pm

They do Shaun, they do……..

Thanks Mike. Thanks what I suspected. Now, it would have been interesting if they tied, and NY went 5-5 vs. them instead of 4-6. Sooooo close.