• October 4th @ The Angels

Posted by on October 4th, 2005 · Comments (14)

OK, I think I get it. Rivera must be dressing up as John Wetteland for Halloween this year and just felt like trying out the costume 4 weeks early, right? Whew.

Speaking of “looks-like” – is it just me, or, does Bartolo Colon look like the love child from the union of David Wells and Pedro Martinez. No matter, you have to give credit to Colon for keeping his team in the game after a rough start. I saw a lot of late swings after the 2nd inning.

Speaking of late, at 10:00 pm EST, Mussina threw the 1st pitch in the bottom of the 5th. Poor kids today, they have no chance of watching these games. (Never mind what’s going to happen tomorrow.)

Not a bad night for Moose. I kept waiting for the meltdown – after all, many times this season he’s been good and then just hits the wall from nowhere. Good thing Joe pulled him when he did in the 6th.

Speaking of the 6th, as much as I want to credit Cano’s clutch hit in the 1st as the key to the game, I think the true key to this win was Vlad taking off for 2nd with 2 outs and down by four (in that 6th inning). Thanks Vladie.

Last week, I said that it was sad “watching Sturtze served up nightly these days – cooked ala’ Torre.” Now it’s beyond sad – it’s dangerous. Torre has to make Small Mr. Seventh Inning now.

Tonight was a good win. But, 1995, 1997, 2001, and 2004 were not that long ago. This is no time for Yankees fans to start getting giddy. If New York can get 10 more wins this post-season, then it’s time to start feeling frisky.

Lastly, I have to wonder, what time will the Yankees land back in New York on Thursday? If the game tomorrow is starting in Cali at 7:20 pm PT, what’s the earliest that they’ll get on a plane back to the East Coast, 12:30 am PT on Thursday? So, would that have them landing in NYC around 9:00 am ET on Thursday, thereabouts. And, from there, they probably get home to their own beds around lunch-time on Thursday.

I hope they all stay in on Thursday night to get ready for the game on Friday. And, if I’m Torre, I’m sending the Big Unit home on a plane first thing Wednesday morning.

Comments on October 4th @ The Angels

1. kk
      October 5th, 2005 | 12:14 am

I think Colon actually has an uncanny resemblance to Andre the Giant.

2. Jen
      October 5th, 2005 | 12:32 am

For some reason Colon reminds me of the clown from Spawn.

No doubt that Randy will be leaving for NY tomorrow. Torre is usually good about that stuff.

3. October 5th, 2005 | 2:29 am

Was I wrong in thinking that Rivera wasn’t getting calls on the right side of the plate? I think the umpire was the same guy giving RJ a hard time. I got home late from work and didn’t have much of a chance to compare.

4. MJ
      October 5th, 2005 | 9:03 am

I’m with you, I thought the balls and strikes were inconsistent all night. The ump seemed unable to decide which side of the plate he was going to be tight on. Oh well, the state of umpiring has been horrendous since mid-September (all those crap calls in Toronto, Baltimore, Boston come to mind).

Sturtze flat-out stinks right now. I don’t know if its overuse or that he was never any good to begin with or some combination of the two but whatever it is, I don’t want to see him or his dumb blank stare anymore. He’s a damn liability at this point.

Also, something that drove me CRAZY last night — what was with the horrible approach to at bats? Besides grooming his mustache, what else is Donnie Baseball doing during games? Certainly not reminding hitters to be patient and work counts. Jeter and ARod made 2 outs on 5 pitches to start the game and after our little burst of scoring, we went to sleep. At a certain point, Colon got 6 outs on 9 pitches in the 5th and 6th. THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE in my book. Here’s a guy close to 100 pitches and all you’re doing is extending him and bridging him to the unhittable back end of their ‘pen. It seems like all the Yanks do is get pitchers to the brink and then refuse to throw the KO punch. I love Bubba’s defense but he made 3 outs on 4 pitches tonight. That’s got to stop.

I’m not complaining, believe me. I’m happy we won and I’m happy we were able to get good work out of Mussina. It’s just that the Angels won’t lay down for us and helping them out with one-pitch outs is not going to cut it in the post-season.

5. JJay
      October 5th, 2005 | 9:20 am

I love Bubba and despite his late hot streak he’s going to look flat out over-matched against top-notch pitchers in the bigs.

6. October 5th, 2005 | 10:16 am

Bubba earned his pay last night chasing down Molina’s first long drive, IMHO. If Bernie’s in CF, that’s a double, I suspect.

7. MJ
      October 5th, 2005 | 10:17 am

No doubt about it. But swinging at the first pitch every time? He might not be able to control his talent level but he can control how many pitches he sees. Hell, if he’s going to get out anyway, why not look at 3 strikes? Who knows, maybe a few of those pitches turn out to be balls or hangers? You’ll never know if you go up there hacking every time.

8. Jason O.
      October 5th, 2005 | 10:43 am

The turning point in the game was Finley’s ground rule double that prevented Juan Rivera from scoring…a massive dose of good fortune for the Yanks.

9. October 5th, 2005 | 10:50 am

My first thoughts when that happened “Holy Tony Clark, that’s a break.”

10. hopbitters
      October 5th, 2005 | 11:05 am

I hate the ground rule double almost as much as I hate the “stand in front of a strike with your armor-plated elbow and get a free base” call. There is no way short of divine intervention that Rivera would not have scored on that hit. He could have had a heart attack rounding third and still made it.

October 5th, 2005 | 11:05 am

=====================

To that end, I see Tim Spoonybarger was released by the Marlins… I hope the Yanks take a flyer on him

12. October 5th, 2005 | 11:22 am

Rivera was very good. Not one well hit ball. Cano should have knocked that ball down, at least. Should have charged it and got in front of it like we’ve seen Jeter do a million times.

13. MJ
      October 5th, 2005 | 1:34 pm

For the record, the home plate ump was Gary Darling. He’s the ump that spent most of Saturday smoking joints to cure his cataracts during all of Boston’s at-bats. I want this anti-Yankee ump investigated. He’s really quite a lousy balls-and-strikes guy.

14. October 5th, 2005 | 3:58 pm

Steve said: “is it just me, or, does Bartolo Colon look like the love child from the union of David Wells and Pedro Martinez.”

Oh, ouch. Thanks. Excuse me please – I have to go scrub my brain cells with lye.