• October 5th @ The Angels

Posted by on October 6th, 2005 · Comments (10)

I was doing so good in terms of staying up to watch this game. And, just then, for a handful of minutes, I nodded off – and it just happened to be for the bottom of the 7th. I cannot describe the horror of waking up, realizing that I fell asleep, and seeing that the game was now in the top of the 8th, with Bernie batting, and the score was 4-2 Angels – when the last thing that I remembered was the game being tied, 2-2, in the top of the 7th.

I didn’t miss much in terms of time, maybe just 15 minutes or so, but I sure missed a lot in terms of the breakdown for the Yankees.

I actually started to get a bad feeling about this game before all this, and the Juan (Where’s that golf cart when you need it?) Rivera HR, and the costly A-Rod error in the 6th. It happened in the top of the 5th – when Jeter made like his idol Winnie and threw his bat into the stands.

My first thought then was “Uh-oh. What’s Torre going to hold on to now for good luck when the team is on defense?” And, if I may say it now, look at the A-Rod and Wang errors that followed in the 6th and 7th. Hmmm.

In any event, the Yankees are not going to win many games in this ALDS if they average 3.5 runs scored per game. They need to score 5-6 runs instead of 3-4 runs.

And, to get that done going forward, I’m calling on Gary Sheffield to step up. The Angels have shown that they’re going to walk A-Rod as much as possible. Therefore, Sheff needs to make them pay for that – and, to date, that’s not happening.

So, now, it’s a best two out of three series – with the Yankees having the home field. Still, I will offer this – the Yankees need to win on Friday to have a chance to take the series. They cannot get into the position where they need to win (to stay alive) on Saturday – and then have to fly all the way out west again to play a winner take all game.

It’s a big spot for Randy Johnson. I saw the clip of Unit throwing today to get his work in. He was wearing a mini-corset. That’s disconcerting. What is also somewhat alarming is the weather forecast for Friday. It’s calling for PM showers at this moment. It would be terrible for the Yankees if Johnson threw three innings in Game 3 and then had to come out of the contest because of an hour rain delay.

I hope Mystique and Aura remember to bring their umbrellas on Friday. And, that the Yankees remember to bring their bats and gloves too.

Comments on October 5th @ The Angels

1. Don
      October 6th, 2005 | 2:28 am

As I wrote on a previous thread, the Yankees hitting is on snooze control.

And Friday’s weather forecast is a definite concern.

There will be no game five……….

2. MJ
      October 6th, 2005 | 8:54 am

MVP or not, ARod hasn’t done ANYTHING this series. Sure, they’re walking him but in the at-bats he has had, he’s made crap outs — swinging at the first pitch last night for a groundout last night, several lame AB’s on Tuesday — AND THAT DAMN ERROR. What on earth was that?

The Yanks are doing their usual thing, playing down to their competition, taking a passive approach at the plate, getting themselves out.

Who would’ve thought that through two games, our pitching would be SO MUCH BETTER than our hitting?

Friday’s a must win for us now that we blew our shot to win the series the easy way.

We’re going back to Anaheim.

3. October 6th, 2005 | 9:33 am

Great. Stayed up til 1:30 for that?

No offense, some horrible defense and some bad breaks for the Yanks.

I agree Friday is a near “must-win” game. I’m having very bad 2002 Deja Vu.

And this is after the fact but why did he start Wang instead of Chacon? Now won’t Chacon be going on about 12 days rest (except for that miniscule outing at Fenway)?

4. MJ
      October 6th, 2005 | 9:45 am

PS – ARod’s 2 for 22 since Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS. This guy’s the next Mr. May.

5. October 6th, 2005 | 9:52 am

MJ – what’s that? Six games? There’s still time on A-Rod. Hopefully it starts on Friday.

6. Jason O.
      October 6th, 2005 | 10:36 am

If LAA won’t pitch to him, do you want AR to become Soriano, suddenly swinging at everything outside and low?

How soon we forget last Saturday in Boston when he took the game over and got us here: 2 1B, 1 2B, 1 jack.

SL, right on re: Sheffield. seeing him run the basepaths last night, it appears that his thigh is OK.

Matsui looks dangerous…he has had about 5 great swings in this series…it will come.l

I hope the weather cooperates.

7. Jason O.
      October 6th, 2005 | 10:38 am

You know the old saying:

A Byrd on the mound is worth a 2-1 lead in the series.

8. October 6th, 2005 | 12:43 pm

Oh, Jason, that hurt. A lot.

9. JohnnyC
      October 6th, 2005 | 3:38 pm

Torre’s choice of Wang in Game 2 over Chacon so that Chacon pitches Game 4 (if necessary) while probably a case of over-thinking is predictably cautious Torre managing (characteristic of him from, say, 2002 on…or about when the Yankees bullpen died). I believe he fully expected to split the first two games (Moose a dangerous bet but he was “vindicated” and Wang playing with the house’s money). He, of course, assumes RJ will win and, so, sets up Chacon for the series win in Game 4 at home. If there’s a Game 5, Torre has probably conceded the series in his mind. So, Torre has planned for a 3-1 series victory. What I find disquieting about this is that Torre has lost any trace of the riverboat gambler, aggressive side to his Yankee tenure (1996-2000)and manages “scared” of his middle relief and his lack of “veteran” starting pitching. And without Zimmer, his offensive game plan is usually from hunger…annoyingly inappropriate at times like last night when ARod tries to steal with no outs and Giambi, Sheff, and Matsui coming up. Ugh.

October 6th, 2005 | 4:35 pm

==================================

Eh? Relief appearances from Boomer & Moose, anyone?

Having said that, I think there hasn’t been much of a “riverboat gambler” style of managing from Torre.

It was use ________ to get to Wetteland or Mo.

As for the offense, they’ve been scoring their fair share of runs the last few seasons, so their problem isn’t the offesne