• October 9th vs. The Angels

Posted by on October 9th, 2005 · Comments (10)

I think that I actually got an ulcer during a Yankees win. Yeah, tonight. Wow.

That shot of Brian Cashman in the 9th, when Vlad was batting, pretty much sums up the way I felt during much of this game.

This is not going to be the prettiest game entry ever. There’s so much to say – so, I’m going to let it just fly and flow.

I too was thinking that Shawn Chacón tonight was pulling an El Duque from the 1998 ALCS – which, by the way, was seven years ago tomorrow. But, I wanted to kill Torre when he said that as well on FOX during the game. Why whammy the guy? And, sure enough, then the Angels score some runs.

Actually, if Giambi catches that SAC bunt from Finley on the fly, it’s a DP and perhaps the Angels score none in that inning – and Chacón’s wonderful night looks even better.

Side thought: Does Chone Figgins look a little like Seth Green? Also, now that Giambi’s hair is getting a little longer, around the 4th inning of a game, when the sweat is really coming, is Jason starting to look a little like Richard Lewis?

Second side thought: Just what happened to second “T” in “Scot” Shields? (Yes, I know that his full name is Robert Scot Shields. Still, it’s strange.) And, if the Halo’s bullpen is so great, just how the heck did Sheilds lose 11 games this season?

By the way, the last two WasWatching.com entries have now mentioned Shields and Yarnall. Is my mind trying to tell me to shut up?

Some funky slide there by Posada in the 7th. That’s two for him now. In Game 5 of the 2000 World Series, he was the one sliding into home (and Piazza) when the ball hit him and allowed the runners to advance. Magic things for Jorgie when he’s heading home. Or, maybe he’s just lucky?

Speaking of luck, I thought for sure that after the Yankees left the bases loaded in the 7th – with the Giambi whiff and Sheffield pop – that would come back to haunt them, with the score remaining 3-2. But, they got lucky.

Almost forgot – pretty big pinch-hit there for Big Rube. Lucky? Hey, I’d rather be lucky than good.

Face it – really, face it. If I posted a picture here of the performance of the Yankees “big hitters” (Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi, Sheffield, etc.) during this game, and the ALDS as a whole, it would be so flat that you’d never be able to see it. The fact that this series is 2-2 is pretty lucky – for New York.

These guys are going to have to hit in Game 5 to allow Mussina, Wang, and whoever, to do their thing and have a chance to win this series. Basically, it’s simple – Strike early, strike big, take the crowd out, and then tack on. Do not allow K-Rod to pitch in this game with a lead.

The first pitch is in about 20 hours from now. It’s going to seem like 200 hours.

Comments on October 9th vs. The Angels

1. JeremyM
      October 10th, 2005 | 12:38 am

Fox needs to ban those in-game interviews. They’re lame and they lead to crap like tonight. A-Rod needs to take the deed to Colon with him to California this time, because he owns him, and forgot it in game 1. It’s up to our bats tomorrow, I don’t think Mussina is capable of a total shutdown and our bullpen is only good for one inning tomorrow. Yes, our pen consists of one man.

2. JeremyM
      October 10th, 2005 | 12:45 am

And you know, I wonder if Posada’s “slide” was so bad because he was preparing for a collision at the plate? Kind of looked that way. I don’t like his chances against Fat Molina in that one.

3. JeremyM
      October 10th, 2005 | 12:52 am

Wow, my posts sounded pretty down! I think we can rock Colon tomorrow, we’ll see. It’s do or die. The Yanks should be flying over Omaha, where I’m at, any minute now, hopefully on their way to a big win!

October 10th, 2005 | 8:14 am

And stop swinging at the first pitch, dammit!

October 10th, 2005 | 8:19 am

=============
      He has good stuff, sometimes it gets hit

His game log

October 10th, 2005 | 9:16 am

**I wanted to kill Torre when he lifted Chacón in the 7th, with one out and a slooooooow runner on 1st (Molina) to bring in Leiter to face Erstad. I think that Joe got lucky there.**

I was curious about that as well. Figured that if Chacon was allowed to face Anderson (I thought he had a bad back? sheesh!), he would face Erstad as well.

**I also wanted to kill Torre when he had Bernie come out to play CF after Womack pinch ran for Sierra who pinch hit for Crosby. (Yeah, not a lot of love for Joe’s moves tonight.) At this stage of the thing, with a one-run game, I’d rather have Womack’s speed in CF than Bernie. I think Joe got lucky there too.**

I can’t remember the last time Womack played CF. I’d rather not take that chance.

7. October 10th, 2005 | 10:00 am

The whole team pretty much deserves a lot of credit. Torre made a number of great calls that worked out. Leiter came up big. Sierra’s hit was HUGE. Posada had a bit game. Even though that was a weak slow roller from Jeter, he did what he had to do. Put the ball in play, put pressure on the defense and get a run home. Good defense from the guys (except for the Matsui play). “Ice Water” Rivera was completely dominant. Chacon was great. I enjoyed it. No ulcers here.

Two parts that I didn’t like were the Matsui play and then Giambi striking out with (I think) the bases loaded and 1 out. Besides that, great game.

8. Jason O.
      October 10th, 2005 | 12:25 pm

SL: I’m biased due to my affinity to the history of the Ruben & Torre/Yankees story.

However, any way you cut it, that guy’s (still) too talented to lay it off on luck.

Wait a minute, why do I have to be unbiased? I’m a fan!!!!

9. Jason O.
      October 10th, 2005 | 12:27 pm

Also: Bernie curtain call…I stopped being nervous long enough to get chills for 5 seconds.

10. JJay
      October 10th, 2005 | 1:48 pm

The Curtain Call was great. It looked like Bernie was holding back tears.

Giambi was trying WAY too hard with the bases loaded. When do you ever see him strike out on 3 pitches?

Earlier in the game Giambi worked a 6 pitch walk from Lackey and it was either the 5th or 6th inning and then Sheff comes up and gives him an out on 1 pitch. That enfuriated me. I guy going on short rest in the later innings of the game after a 6 pitch walk and you swing at the 1st one…