• Refried Moose

Posted by on October 10th, 2005 · Comments (32)

Mussina has started games twice in a post-season series five times: the 1997 ALDS, the 1997 ALCS, the 2001 WS, the 2003 ALCS, and the 2004 ALCS.

In every one of these times, Moose has provided a solid effort in his second start of the series.

Therefore, I’m predicting at least 6 innings from Mussina tonight – with 3 earned runs allowed – at the most – and maybe less.

Comments on Refried Moose

1. James Varghese
      October 10th, 2005 | 4:52 pm

Steve,
      I am a big Moose fan – always have been – and I expect the same from him. i don’t have any stuff to back that up – just a hope and a wish that he’ll come through.

Also, let’s hope this game starts closer to 8 rather than 9. If I have to take any more stupid reporting from that Zalasko lady, I will scream. Btw, I have yet to see her out from behind the desk so there’s a running theory that she is morbidly obese from the waist down…just a thought ;) (/End stupid thoughts).

Go Yanks!

2. October 10th, 2005 | 5:06 pm

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa

we’re halfway there

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

livin on a prayer

YANKEES

3. October 10th, 2005 | 5:42 pm

I just wish she would cover up her freckled chest James. No one needs to see that.

4. James Varghese
      October 10th, 2005 | 8:08 pm

AHHH – you’re right – I’m blinded! Thanks Steve, now I will focus on that every single time…ouch.

5. MJ
      October 10th, 2005 | 8:12 pm

Jeanne Zelasko is 7 1/2 months pregnant so she can’t really move from behind that desk otherwise we’d all see her mammoth twin babies growing in her belly. Let’s cut the pregnant lady some slack. Plus, who doesn’t like seeing a bit of cleavage? It’s not that bad, really.

As for tonight’s game — all I know is, at this point, I’d rather have David Ortiz playing third for me. I’m sick of putting a pleasant spin on ARod. He’s done f*ck-all in the postseason in Pinstripes. He’s got another chance to change his statsheet tonight. If he doesn’t, flat out, he’s not the MVP, never has been and never will be. He’s a skinnier Sammy Sosa — all regular season stats.

6. MJ
      October 10th, 2005 | 9:06 pm

2nd inning, 2 on, 2 out and we get the usual from A-FRAUD. Clap with me, “A-Rod Sucks!” “A-Rod Sucks!” “A-Rod Sucks!”

Worst big name player ever.

7. JeremyM
      October 10th, 2005 | 10:06 pm

Worse than Winfield?

8. MJ
      October 10th, 2005 | 10:24 pm

Much, much worse than Winfield.

And while I’m at it, I may as well toss a hand grenade on the whole team. The plane may as well have crashed en route last night because it’s the same freakin’ result — they just didn’t show up tonight. Way to strand 8 runners in 5 innings guys. Way to take a 1st and 2nd no outs in the 5th and produce nothing.

9. October 10th, 2005 | 10:28 pm

I’m with MJ, except lucky for me they didn’t get any of my cash this year either. I’m pretty sick of these guys.

But let me ask this: Have you *ever* seen that stupid running-out-of-the-lane rule enforced, except called against the Yankees in the playoffs? The Yankees have sucked lemons thus far in this game, but they haven’t exactly gotten any breaks either.

10. MJ
      October 10th, 2005 | 11:09 pm

To Sheffield, Mussina and Matsui – find a way to buy a set of brass ones this offseason. Your performances in big October games are pathetic.

To ARod – find a way to get yourself traded. You’re not welcome in New York.

11. James Varghese
      October 10th, 2005 | 11:21 pm

MJ,
      Hey, no more cash from you anymore right? That’s fine – I’ll keep A-Rod on the team – thanks. Could he have been a bigger presence so far? OF COURSE! Does that take away from the fact that the guy was remarkably consistent the ENTIRE REST OF THE YEAR and was one of the main reasons the Yanks even got into the playoffs?

P.s. I didn’t know she was pregant but I still stand by my comment – I have NEVER seen her out from behind the desk.

12. MJ
      October 10th, 2005 | 11:39 pm

Of course, he had a big regular season and was a big part of the team making the playoffs. No doubting or disputing that at all. It’s just that when you’re talking about a guy that’s considered the best player in the game, a guy that’s fighting to be considered the MVP, well, a big 0-fer with men in scoring position isn’t acceptable. How many K’s looking do we have to watch on TV? His performance sucked from top to bottom. And all the regular season homers in the world won’t change the fact that if we get something, ANYTHING, from Alex this October, we win the series. Hell, even if he took all 4 other games off, if he can’t give us 1 RBI in Game 5, well, screw him. You enjoy your regular season A-Rod. See how far he takes you.

PS – he just grounded into a DP with Jeter on 1st. I rest my case.

13. James Varghese
      October 10th, 2005 | 11:45 pm

That’s fine. I still keep him. It’s unfortunate what has transpired…I mean, you’re not the only one PISSED OFF at his performance. I am LIVID…I mean, come on – worst timed DP…EVER (or at least this series…) but I can’t walk away from what he has done for the team all year. Hopefully, he will redeem himself soon. One can only wait.

14. James Varghese
      October 10th, 2005 | 11:47 pm

I don’t like to curse…but…F#$K. On to the offseason 9 wins short…SOB.

Steve, when does House come back on? That’s all I can look forward to.

15. October 10th, 2005 | 11:53 pm

Sadly, House cannot come quick enough now!

16. Jen
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:05 am

I’m with James on this. Yeah, ARod fucked up, a lot (I like to curse:-). But there were missed opportunities by everyone this entire series. The Yankees don’t make the playoffs without him.

MJ, the Yankees really won’t miss your money, but if it will make you feel better, go nuts. You should look into your anger issues though, it’s not healthy.

17. Scott
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:06 am

Hey Steve, I’ve had a lot of fun reading your blog all season. I look forward to reading again next spring (although I’ll probably pop in to check up now and again during the winter.) Enjoy the offseason.

(Must be time to get my snowboard waxed — is it snowing yet?)

18. October 11th, 2005 | 12:13 am

I can now look forward to a) figuring out which HDTV to buy – I’ve seriously been researching this for what seems like forever…and b) writing on offseason moves and the Yankees minor league system (and no, that’s not a oxymoronic statement, thank you very much) over at Yanksblog.com. The guys over there have welcomed me into the fold so once I start posting, please feel free to come on over and critque/slam/laugh at my writing. (Ok, shameless plug OVER!)

That being said, Steve, I very much enjoy this blog – thanks for keeping it going and thanks to all the posters too – a lot of the posts really made me think in diff. ways about baseball – much appreciated. Night.

19. eddy
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:19 am

“Screw ‘em. No more cash from my wallet for them next year. I won’t pay to see losers who don’t care.”

Thier play didn’t get it done, ( due as much tonight to bad umpiring, bloop hits, and bad luck- the bubba/sheff crash ) but to say they don’t care is just silly. They were probably pressing- trying too hard and letting it affect their play.
      You’re coming across like a fair weather bandwagoner

20. MJ
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:21 am

Jen, no need to say crap like that. I’m venting, like everyone else. There’s no need to make it personal.

I choose to rip A-Rod over other perfectly guilty parties because he’s the one player that we should expect more from. Our expectations for a 30 year old with 430+ career homers, several gold gloves and the inside track to Hank Aaron should be better than going 0-14 in his playoff career with RISP and 2 outs.

Notice how Jeter, fresh from 3 below-average games, comes in, sets the tone with a base hit in the first, a big homer in the 7th and a leadoff single in the 9th. Rose to the occasion. Set the tabel for his ‘mates. A-Rod? Not so much. For all the egg-heads that would’ve taken A-Rod over Jeter before they were teammates…I’ll still take my Captain any day of the week.

21. Jen
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:22 am

Yeah, thanks Steve. You seem to put a lot of time and effort into this site and it is much appreciated.

At least now I’ll have more time on my hands to get those shirts done:-)

22. October 11th, 2005 | 12:22 am

i dont even know what to say

23. Jen
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:28 am

MJ, it was a joke. Sorry you took it so personally.

24. MJ
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:44 am

“You’re coming across like a fair weather bandwagoner”

Believe me, I’m not a fair weather bandwagoner. I’m just not afraid to blast ‘em when they deserve blasting. I’ll applaud ‘em when they put up a good fight but I don’t think they did that this week. Game 2 and Game 5 they were pure sleepwalking.

25. October 11th, 2005 | 12:51 am

All – thanks for the kind word on the blog!

And, rest assured, this is not shut down time. There’s Yankees stuff warranting laconic commentary all year long. I’ll be dishing it.

Jen, shirts? I’m starting to think you’re teasing me!

26. Jen
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:53 am

Oh, I’m no tease. A procrastinator, maybe. But not a tease.

27. JeremyM
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:53 am

A-Rod’s double play was as bad as it gets. I thought K-Rod was set to choke, his body language screamed choke and A-Rod made it all too easy on him. It was not a good pitch to hit let alone on 1-0. I’m not going to say I don’t want him on the team because I think the true blame might reside with Sheffield. They pitched around A-Rod, someone has to make them pay, and Sheff absolutely did not. And we wouldn’t have been anywhere without him all season.
      Mussina looked OK to me to start, other than the Anderson pitch, but that damn play in center killed him dead. And Mussina and West is a tough draw, for any pitcher really, but especially for Mussina. Johnson stepped up and did what he could.
      I think what killed us was losing home field. We get home field and Johnson never has to pitch in that crappy weather.
      Thundersticks have no place in the game of baseball. You cheer, you clap, you stomp, you yell, you do what you can to be loud, but you don’t cheat with a piece of vinyl. Very lame.
      Matsui is my favorite player on the current team and he killed us dead.
      I’ve always said Jeter was overrated, he sure as hell proved his worth tonight. I stand corrected.
      Cano is a stud.
      Bernie should not return, under any circumstances. OK, as a spring training instructor and a participant in the old-timer’s game. Love the guy but he’s done.
      This team needs a plan this off-season. Not a Tampa plan, not a Cashman plan, not a Torre plan, but one plan that is smartly drawn up. It doesn’t include signing AJ Burnett, Johnny Damon, or Rafael Furcal (unless that means moving Jeter to center).

28. JeremyM
      October 11th, 2005 | 12:56 am

And Steve, great first season on the blog, I hope to see many more. I’m applying for Cashman’s job if you’re interested in being my assistant:)

29. October 11th, 2005 | 12:59 am

JeremyM – it’s a deal. When do I start?

30. MJ
      October 11th, 2005 | 1:11 am

Jeremy – I agree 100%. This team needs a plan, and fast. We don’t need AJ Burnett. We have a wealth of starters with Randy, Moose, Chacon, Wang, Wright and Pavano for the rotation. That’s 6 guys. There’s no need to add a 7th. Damon belongs someplace else. The last thing we need is another CF with no arm. Finally, I wan’t no part of Furcal. He’s streaky and fragile. We have a shortstop already and don’t need to move DJ to CF.

Our plan should include: (1) finding 2 arms for the pen to go with Sturtze, Small, Gordon and Rivera and (2) making sure that the door is firmly shut on Bernie Williams. I love him but if he wants to play, there are 29 other teams.

31. JeremyM
      October 11th, 2005 | 1:44 am

My post should’ve said “not a Cashman plan, a Tampa plan, and not a Torre plan” but I think you got what I meant. Our bullpen needs BJ Ryan for sure. I think we should bring back Gordon, and Sturtze would probably be a good 4th or 5th man out. I think we just say screw it and give Crosby center field, because I don’t see anything good on the FA market right now and we don’t have anything we can trade. Unless teams are dumb enough to take Wright or Pavano. I think he can play a little, we just need to let him.
      We need another outfielder, someone along the lines of Matt Lawton, but who is NOT Matt Lawton. This guy will allow Sheffield, Giambi, and Matsui to share time at DH and the field. I think teams are better off without a set DH, it gives the roster better flexibility.
      Tino should retire, thanks for the memories. Bernie can play in KC or something if he wants to still play.
      Torre should return. He frustrates me, and there is something not quite right with the way he handles this particular team, but I just don’t see anyone else doing better. But Mel should go, and I’m still not sure what Girardi brought to the table, and why he’s so coveted. I’ll figure out the rest later, when the Yanks officially offer me the job:)
      And what a horrible tragedy that earthquake was. Really makes baseball seem small and petty.

October 11th, 2005 | 3:21 pm

How exactly do you cheat with Thunderstixx?