• Next!

Posted by on October 14th, 2005 · Comments (7)

From Newsday:

The Yankees have wasted no time compiling their list of replacements for Mel Stottlemyre, targeting three of the best pitching coaches in baseball.

Don Cooper of the Chicago White Sox, Dave Righetti of the San Francisco Giants and Leo Mazzone of the Atlanta Braves are considered the favorites, along with former Yankee Ron Guidry.

The Yankees consider bullpen coach Neil Allen a candidate but don’t think he is ready yet. Triple-A Columbus coach Gil Patterson and Jimmy Key also are on their radar.

Wow, zero mention of Joe Kerrigan. I’m not sure what that means? But, I would love to see Jimmy Key sneak in there. From what I’ve heard, he’s Girardi-like in terms of his smarts and the respect that he recieves from players.

Comments on Next!

October 14th, 2005 | 10:54 am

I think they should do whatever it takes to land Leo Mazzone.

I think most pitching coaches are irrelevant, but it would be nice to get a coach that knows something about the human body, how it works, how it moves. Someone like Dr. Mike Marshall. Or even Tom House.

But it’ll never happen.

2. October 14th, 2005 | 11:25 am

I think the front office and media in NY will kill Leo. He will hate it.

3. MJ
      October 14th, 2005 | 11:31 am

I would never say they shouldn’t offer what it takes to get a guru like Leo but if I were Leo, I’d keep my butt firmly planted in Atlanta.

I don’t know why Kerrigan isn’t mentioned. Could Connors have sabotaged him?

What’s Jimmy Key been doing since we last saw him? I had no idea he was still in the game. I don’t like anyone characterized as “Girardi-like” since, honestly, I can’t tell you what Girardi brought to the table. If everyone says that Zimm was the brains of the outfit and Girardi learned at Zimm’s feet, well, Girardi needs more home-schooling because Torre didn’t have any Zimm-like stuff going for him this year.

4. October 14th, 2005 | 11:39 am

I think Buster O’s book said good things about Key, IIRC?

No idea what Jimmy’s been up to? Maybe working as an agent? (He and his wife did his contracts.) Or, just chillin’?

October 14th, 2005 | 11:42 am

=======

That would be his ex-wife…

IIRC, he proposed to his then gf @ the 1996 WS. I don’t remember the exact details, but I remember the broadcasters mentioning it while he was pitching gm 6.

6. MJ
      October 14th, 2005 | 12:44 pm

Buster Olney can kiss my ass. He’s a hacker. I loathe Steinbrenner and am happy to expound on how he’s ruined a once-fun team to root for but I also go by the Animal House theory.

“They can’t do that our pledges. Only we can do that to our pledges!”

If Olney wants to publish crap just so he can get hired by ESPN and do his Yankee bashing at Yankee-haters HQ, he’s more than welcome to but I don’t take what he writes as anything more than agenda pieces. Just like Michael Kay’s on the other side of the spectrum.

7. October 14th, 2005 | 5:02 pm

anyone on ESPN is biased against the Yankees…