• 2005 ALCS

Posted by on October 16th, 2005 · Comments (16)

With the White Sox now in control of the ALCS, I’m torn. Part of me wants to see the Angels lose – so that their organization and fans can experience what the Yankees and their fans did in the ALDS. However, another part of me thinks that it’s somewhat soothing to say that the team who knocked the Yankees out of the post-season was the best team in baseball.

It’s win-win or lose-lose, I guess, depending on your side of the coin.

Comments on 2005 ALCS

1. October 16th, 2005 | 12:20 pm

I have a feeling you and I have talked about this before, Steve – maybe in 2002 – but my dad raised me always to root for the team that beat the Yankees, so that at least we know for sure that the Yankees were beaten by the best.

(That didn’t do much for me last year – I couldn’t root for the Sox, but I didn’t need to, because it was so clearly their year.)

So I’ve been rooting for the Angels. But you have to like the way the White Sox are playing and winning, with all those great performances from their starters.

2. RICH
      October 16th, 2005 | 12:40 pm

Nah, I want the Angels to win so I don’t need to listen to Ozzie Guillen.

3. October 16th, 2005 | 2:14 pm

Small sample size.

4. rbj
      October 16th, 2005 | 3:39 pm

Since 1998, the Yankees either won the WS or lost to the team that did. That’s 7 straight times, not too shabby, and you can make it 8 of 9 for 1996-97.
      I’m knid of torn between rooting for El Duque (and Contreras) and Pettitte/Clemens.

October 16th, 2005 | 3:49 pm

I’m enjoying the great pitching. Looking forward to the Contreras start tonight

6. October 16th, 2005 | 4:21 pm

I’m in the camp that the ALDS should be best 4 of 7. I don’t think either of these teams could beat the Yankees 4 times before the Yankees beat them. Teams have come back from down 3-2, plus best 4 of 7 would have given us one more game in NYC.

October 16th, 2005 | 5:08 pm

======

had they won that last game against boston, they’d have an extra game in NYC (:

8. October 16th, 2005 | 7:29 pm

I know Raf, I was on semi-thin ice there. Our fate was in our hands and we blew it! One could say we “blew” this season, in so many ways!

9. October 16th, 2005 | 9:09 pm

I will be rooting against the Angels (and rooting for Andy Pettitte :)

Why do I want the Angels to lose:
      They are going to be a good team for a good long while – they have good YOUNG pitching, good hitting and fielding (esp. coming up fast from the minors – Kotchman & Morales (1rst), Kendrick (2nd), McPhereson (3rd) and the next golden child Brandon Wood (SS).
      All those guys I named are very good prospects…with Wood arguably being the best prospect in the minors. If they start winning now, they have the talent to contend for a while and with a few breaks, could be looking at a long run that could rival the Yank’s run. What can I say – I’m selfish – I just want the Yanks to experience that kind of sucess ;)

10. Jen
      October 16th, 2005 | 9:51 pm

Even though I can’t stand Guillen, I’m rooting for the Sox. I used to have the “I’ll root for whatever team beats the Yankees” thing. But for some reason I just can’t stand the Angels. Maybe it’s because of my dislike for the state of California. Or the fact that I can’t respect a fan base that needs noise making apparatuses.

11. October 16th, 2005 | 11:02 pm

Ditto the feelings on Ozzie. That’s why I’ll root for Houston in the World Series. Plus, they’re the Wildcard, and it seems like the WC always wins the Series now.

12. Jen
      October 17th, 2005 | 12:11 am

So if Houston makes it, what’s the over/under on “ex-Yankee pitcher” references during the Series?

13. October 17th, 2005 | 9:33 am

For a 7 game series, I think it’s at least 64.

October 17th, 2005 | 10:10 am

=========

Like a cowbell? :D

October 17th, 2005 | 10:13 am

I root against the wildcard at all costs (:

Go Sawx!

FWIW, I think it’s awesome that in the series just completed, the bullpen has only thrown 2/3 of an inning, way back in gm 1.

Also think it’s appropriate that Contreras was the pitcher on the mound when the Sox won the pennant.

16. Jen
      October 17th, 2005 | 10:47 am

//Like a cowbell? :D//

Hey, it’s not like 50,000 people have cowbells. :-)