• Frank Torre Speaks

Posted by on October 16th, 2005 · Comments (9)

From The Post:

[Frank] Torre noted that his brother had ended an 18-year drought when he won the first of his four World Series in 1996. “Let’s call a spade a spade,” Frank said. “George acts like the Yankees have been a winning organization for the whole time he’s been there.”

Frank Torre believes that 2005 was his brother’s best managing job. “If push came to shove, I know my brother would much rather finish his career here,” Frank Torre said. “He knows he can manage this team better than anybody else.”

And if not this team? “He might even manage the Red Sox, you never know,” Frank Torre said.

When does Sister Marguerite chime in?

Comments on Frank Torre Speaks

1. October 17th, 2005 | 12:55 am

omg george would be furious if Joe went to manage boston….

2. Don
      October 17th, 2005 | 2:00 am

I think family ought to keep quiet.

3. MJ
      October 17th, 2005 | 8:54 am

I agree. Family should stay out of it. Frank, a former player, should know better.

That said, I’m almost rooting for Joe to manage Boston. My hate for Steinbrenner is nearly overpowering my love for the team.

October 17th, 2005 | 9:23 am

================

He’s also an old man, that wont take guff from nobody… lol

5. JohnnyC
      October 17th, 2005 | 11:08 am

It matters very little now whether Torre wants to manage the Red Sox. First off, Boston doesn’t need him or want him (if you’ve heard the news, they’ve won that elusive Championship now). Secondly, the Red Sox couldn’t pay him enough to pay for his green tea for crying out loud…Francona makes $700,000 and they don’t want to give HIM a raise. Thirdly, George would probably have a laughing fit if the Red Sox hired Torre now, taking $13 million off the docket. And, as much as some fans despise Steinbrenner, the sense of entitlement on the part of Torre and Stottlemyre reeks to me of the same ego-mania George is accused of. At least Steinbrenner comes by his megalomania because he owns the team. I didn’t know being manager of the Yankees was like being appointed to the Supreme Court, a lifetime sinecure.

6. MJ
      October 17th, 2005 | 11:36 am

I don’t think anyone thinks that Joe Torre should stay in his job forever but if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and Torre, for his faults, isn’t the reason why the Yanks are golfing right now.

Certainly, owning the team gives Steinbrenner the “right” to do anything he wants but that doesn’t make his actions correct, justifiable or logical. Steinbrenner’s a complete f-ing moron who is getting in his own way. How can such a smart businessman not understand basic principles of organizational behavior. He’s cutting off his nose to spite his face.

7. Nick
      October 17th, 2005 | 6:18 pm

“Certainly, owning the team gives Steinbrenner the “right” to do anything he wants but that doesn’t make his actions correct, justifiable or logical.”

Well said, MJ. It is also correct of JohnnyC to point out that Torre has egomaniacal tendencies. I would suspect 90% of the managers in baseball, self-appointed leaders of men, tend in that direction. Of course, few have the political capital, to use a phrase of another egomaniac, to spend like Torre. But who wouldn’t act in their own self-interest? Torre uses his popularity with the press as a weapon againt the Boss, who has publicly questioned Torre’s abilities. Seems to me a reasonable strategy.

Here’s a question for those who want to see Torre go. I ask this in earnest because I’m really curious what the answer is. Who would you rather want as manager of the Yanks? It’s not as if there’s a pool of talented geniuses out there.

8. MJ
      October 17th, 2005 | 8:47 pm

I want to keep Torre for two reasons: 1) there’s no one out there that would be better and 2) he’s still the right man for the job (meaning he hasn’t lost the players).

9. hopbitters
      October 18th, 2005 | 10:39 am

I don’t know what Torre does that people think is useful, so I don’t really have any problem replacing him with anyone that isn’t a complete moron.

I think we can all agree that Torre is not a great game manager, right? His bullpen management is suspect, at best. He clearly favors players he likes and trusts over those who are performing. He couldn’t manufacture a run if you spotted him 300 feet.

Yeah, but the players all like him. So what? Billy Martin had a higher WP as a manager and won WS while he had players actively trying to kill him. And lets not forget that there have been players that didn’t like Torre, didn’t get any playing time, and were shipped out of town. Everyone likes him, because everyone that doesn’t is put on a bus out of town.

But they have good chemistry. Again, so what? Fuzzy, happy feelings in the clubhouse don’t win championships. There have been a whole lot of championships won over the years by guys who couldn’t stand the sight of each other. Pacifying babies is a fine trait for a day care provider, but it doesn’t mean anything to me in a manager.

As for Steinbrenner, I do think he’s a moron, but lets get a quick show of hands here – how many of us have a boss who would give us the highest funding in industry history for years at a time, repeatedly come in second or worse, and not only not fire us, but let our staff get away with publicly criticizing his management style and employee relations, all while we get handsomely paid for our efforts? You’ll have to excuse me for not shedding a tear for Joe and Mel.