• Out Here In The Fields

Posted by on October 18th, 2005 · Comments (8)

I spent 13 hours in the office today. On the long drive home, I started to get very tired. So, I decided to crank up the radio to keep me alert. And, on comes Baba O’Riley.

No matter what that song may have meant to me back in my youth, today, when I hear it, I think “Winning Yankees Baseball.” I wonder how many others feel the same today about that tune?

Comments on Out Here In The Fields

1. October 19th, 2005 | 1:06 am

THEIR ALL WASTED!

2. knuckles
      October 19th, 2005 | 8:36 am

Amen brotha. That song has a prominent spot in my Ipod at the gym. I’ve loved it since I ‘discovered’ The Who in 8th grade (early 90′s) and when Paulie started using it in games, it never failed to get me jacked up.

3. October 19th, 2005 | 9:33 am

Gee…everytime I hear “A Quick One While He’s Away”…I think of some the great deals Gabe Paul pulled off!

October 19th, 2005 | 9:52 am

I remember little things like Beer Barreled Polka when Niekro was pitching, or The Flintstones theme when Bam Bam Meulens was at bat.

Overall, I’d say theme music had more of an impact when I watched pro rasslin, than when I watch baseball.

5. Jen
      October 19th, 2005 | 12:56 pm

I think Enter Sandman has had a bigger impact on me than Baba. Can’t hear the song without seeing Mo in my head trotting in from the pen.

I don’t know if it was deliberate or not, but whenever I would drive to the Stadium this year KROCK always seemed to be playing that song at around 6:00.

6. rbj
      October 19th, 2005 | 1:32 pm

I first heard Baba in the 70s, loved it then and thought is was appropriate for Paul.
      Any chance of him becoming bench coach if Girardi takes a manager spot?

7. October 19th, 2005 | 3:34 pm

I think his kids are too young still.

8. Dom
      October 19th, 2005 | 4:45 pm

Everytime, I hear the opening notes of that song, it reminds me of the Who show that I attended in 1974, and they opened with Baba O Reily, timeless song, and it does remind me of Paul O’Neill entering the batters box.