• Leo To O’s

Posted by on October 20th, 2005 · Comments (7)

This move makes sense. It’s a much better fit for Mazzone. Better pitching prospects at the big league level and he has his friend Sam there. What was Leo going to do with the Johnsons and Mussinas anyway?

I doubt that Rags takes the job. He went with the Giants in the first place because it was close to home.

If Cashman comes back, look for Kerrigan to get the job. If not, it’s really an open game now. Torre was really tight with Bob Gibson. I wonder if he’s interested? At the least, if they get Gibson, maybe then Ortiz has to learn to move his feet in 2006.

Comments on Leo To O’s

1. MJ
      October 20th, 2005 | 10:58 am

I had no idea that Gibson was interested in coaching in the big leagues. I could be wrong but for the life of me I can’t remember him coaching anywhere since he stopped playing. If he wants to give it a shot, hey, I could think of a lot of worse things than having Gibson reminding pitchers that it’s ok to dust someone now and then.

I’d be happy with Kerrigan. I hear he’s got a horrible personality but so does Sheffield and I don’t mind him either. If Kerrigan can keep Unit in tip-top shape, help guide Wang and Chacon to further greatness, I’m 100% all for it.

I don’t want Gator only because I don’t like the idea of making the Yankee coaching staff a who’s who of former greats. I want a real coach to actually coach.

October 20th, 2005 | 11:16 am

Gibby coached with Torre in Atlanta & NY. I’m not sure if he followed Torre to St. Louis, but I do know he was a special instructor in spring training

3. JohnnyC
      October 20th, 2005 | 11:21 am

I wouldn’t mind Kerrigan either. For all those people who think Torre and Cashman are bosom buddies and allies against Tampa, George, and the Red Menace, if Kerrigan gets the job, that theory will really be tested. Kerrigan’s Cashman’s guy and it won’t be too long before Torre feels he’s also Cashman’s spy (a la Billy Connors and Buck Showalter). Torre’s short list does not include Bob Gibson because Gibson has no desire to be a full-time pitching coach at the age of 70. Joe will stump for Guidry now big time. It wouldn’t shock me to find out that one of Cashman’s negotiating points with George is precisely the identity of the new pitching coach.

4. rbj
      October 20th, 2005 | 12:11 pm

Hell, get Gibson to pitch. He’s practically old enough for Steinbrenner to want on the team, plus he’s a “big name” and a “proven winner”.

5. JeremyM
      October 20th, 2005 | 6:19 pm

I’m all for Gibson. Just read his autobio and this guy really seems to know his stuff. And I have to support a fellow Omahan:)

October 21st, 2005 | 9:27 am