• The Power Of Pettitte

Posted by on October 20th, 2005 · Comments (14)

World Series appearances by the Yankees while Andy Pettitte was on the team: 6 in 9 years.

World Series appearances by the Yankees since Andy Pettitte left the team: 0 in 2 years.

World Series appearances by Andy Pettitte since he left the Yankees: 1 in 2 years.

Never mind the fact that Pettitte’s old number has found it’s way to the backs of the likes of Donovan Osborne and Alan Embree.

Big Stein should have listened to Sweet Sensation. Never let you go.

Comments on The Power Of Pettitte

1. eddy
      October 20th, 2005 | 12:43 am

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this). This is the familiar fallacy of mistaking correlation for causation — i.e., thinking that because two things occur simultaneously, one must be a cause of the other … Cum hoc ergo propter hoc is very similar to post hoc ergo propter hoc … the fallacy of assuming that A caused B simply because A happened prior to B.

October 20th, 2005 | 9:13 am

Pettitte wanted to go home. Nothing wrong with that.

3. October 20th, 2005 | 9:43 am

Eddy – you sound like that guy in the white suit in the Matrix sequel! LOL.

Raf? Did he? I think he was waiting for an offer and when he heard nothing, he took the one that was on his table.

4. October 20th, 2005 | 9:48 am

If I recall, we offered him something like 7.5 mil more than he signed for, but maybe I’m wrong. I generally felt that it was out of our hands, but perhaps not. If we blew it, that is/was disappointing.

5. Jen
      October 20th, 2005 | 10:41 am

I’m still inclined to believe the “wife found out about his mistress and demanded that he plays in Houston instead of NY” theory.

October 20th, 2005 | 11:24 am

Steve: I thought it was common knowledge that he was looking to head back to Texas? Some prefer to play closer to home. Thurman Munson wanted to do it, as did Curt Flood. Ken Griffey, Phil Nevin, John Franco & Nolan Ryan did it. Clemens is doing it.

Jen: I wouldn’t be suprised if that were the case. Anything any of these guys do doesn’t suprise me.

Also, weren’t there concerns about his elbow? May have been easier to let him walk if that was the case

7. JohnnyC
      October 20th, 2005 | 11:42 am

Jen, that’s hilarious. I like the way your mind works. Back to the facts as Andy himself stated: The Yankees offered him a preliminary “low-ball” deal shortly after the season ended which is standard in contract negotiations to gauge interest on both sides. The Hendricks brothers shopped that offer and received at least one offer that blew that out of the water (Red Sox $48MM over 3 years including buyout of 4th year). Houston offered the bizarrely back-loaded 3 year deal for $31.5MM ($5.5MM in 2004, $8.5MM in 2005, and $17.5MM in 2006). Shortly before the arbitration deadline in December, the Yankees gave Andy their final, best offer of $39MM for 3 years with the request that his elbow be thoroughly evaluated by Yankees doctors. Houston waived their right to a physical exam. Andy chose Houston. Coincidentally, Clemens comes out of retirement to pitch for the Astros, for the bargain price of $5MM (after unsuccessfully asking the Yankees to extend him at $15MM). Houston ends up with Clemens and Pettitte for a total of $10.5MM in 2004. Would it surprise anyone to think that this was orchestrated by Clemens? Like Raf says, nothing wrong with wanting to go home. But this has more to do with Roger Clemens’ personal agenda than Andy “getting back” at anyone much less George. And, LOL, it wouldn’t shock me if Rocket decides to come back to NY in 2006. Leaving Andy to be traded to whatever team will take the $17.5MM off the Astros’ payroll. Need I add that Andy does not have a no-trade clause in his contract?

8. October 20th, 2005 | 11:51 am
    9. rbj
      October 20th, 2005 | 12:23 pm

Remember though, Pettitte was injured *elbow) most of last season, the Yankees were right to be suspicious of it, though I’d still want him on the team, as opposed to, say Kevin Brown.

10. JohnnyC
      October 20th, 2005 | 12:47 pm

Steve, Tom Pettitte knew less about the negotiations than friggin’ Jack Curry did. He states that in the article. Next time someone “disrespects” me with a 3 year $39MM contract offer, I’m thinking I’ll accept it. I’m stupid that way, I guess. Anyway, it’s his prerogative and he did what he thought was best for himself and his family. Let’s not hyperventilate over it, two years later. And a more relevant irony would be if Jose Contreras helps pitch the White Sox to a World Championship.

11. Nick
      October 20th, 2005 | 1:00 pm

“Next time someone “disrespects” me with a 3 year $39MM contract offer, I’m thinking I’ll accept it.”

nice one

12. October 20th, 2005 | 4:32 pm

Jen – thanks for this link

very interesting

13. Nick
      October 20th, 2005 | 4:40 pm

I heard that same rumor from a person connected to a person who worked with the Yanks at the time (very reliable as you can see). Actually, the story goes that he went all born-again and started making those God commercials in an attempt to cure his philandering ways. Apparently, it wasn’t just ONE woman. Yeah, this isn’t very reliable stuff but that’s the essence of gossip.

14. October 21st, 2005 | 12:39 am

If you’re going to lose a pitcher like Pettitte over a Baseball Annie issue, it *almost* makes you wish that all your stars were Piazzas.