• Bowa To Coach 3rd?

Posted by on October 21st, 2005 · Comments (15)

From mlb.com:

Larry Bowa has been offered the job of third base coach for the Yankees next season, the former Phillies manager told MLB.com on Thursday.

Bowa, who has been working this season as a baseball commentator for ESPN and XM Radio, said he has had several conversations in the past two days with Yankees manager Joe Torre and general manager Brian Cashman, and he expects to speak to Cashman again this weekend.

Bowa said he hasn’t made up his mind about whether he wants to take the position.

“We’re still talking,” he said.

Well, he has a ton of experience coaching third. And, he has some fire in him. He might just add something to the equation.

But, I’m not sure of the Torre connection. When Bowa was with the Angels, Torre was already in New York. So, it’s not like they crossed there. They did play against each other for 8 years. Could that be it?

I wonder if Tim McCarver has anything to do with this? Joe and Tim were tight from their St. Louis days. And, Timmy played with Bowa for a long time in Philly. That’s the best connection that I can think of now.

If Bowa turns it down, would they offer it to Wally Backman next? Crazy? Hey, how many saw the Bowa offer coming?

Comments on Bowa To Coach 3rd?

1. MJ
      October 21st, 2005 | 8:37 am

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t mind having Bowa on the bench to replace Joe Girardi. I think Bowa’s a solid manager who just has a hard time connecting with all of his players. But I also think the Philly thing was overblown and that it wasn’t the full mutiny that everyone thinks it was. He’d be a giver of sound baseball advice and I think Joe could use someone like Bowa as a lieutenant. I don’t know if Bowa’s talents are being put to best use out there on third base.

Also, off subject, the more I hear that Guidry might be the next pitching coach, the more upset I get. I hate the practice of taking former stars and making them coaches just because it makes everyone feel good. Does anyone know if Donnie’s good at his job? Does anyone know if Gator can coach? I’d rather take minor league guys that actually have a track record at helping guys succeed rather than guys who succeeded in their own right but have no coaching resume to speak of.

2. JG
      October 21st, 2005 | 8:48 am

I didn’t see Bowa coming to NY, at the very least offered a coaching job. I don’t think Sojo did a very good job coaching 3rd, he was either too aggresive or he didn’t do his homework too well. I’m inclined to think the latter. I was reading the Daily News this morning and was suprised to hear that Bowa was described as one of the ‘best 3rd base coaches in the game’. I never heard/read anyone refer to a 3rd base coach that way, it’s such a thankless job. It would be interesting to see how Bowa reacts when Sheffield runs through a stop sign and gets thrown out at home.

I am not sure this is a good mix.

3. Jason O.
      October 21st, 2005 | 8:57 am

Third base coach for the Yankees? Hell, working in a prison laundry would be better than sitting on an ESPN set while Harold Reynolds and John Kruk try to be funny.

4. October 21st, 2005 | 8:58 am

I’m with MJ on hiring team icons as coaches – it makes it a PR nightmare to later fire them. See: Yogi. I’m surprised that the Yankees brass didn’t learn from that.

5. Rob
      October 21st, 2005 | 9:02 am

What does this mean re Sojo? Is he gone? Another position?

October 21st, 2005 | 9:23 am

========================

It wasn’t a nightmare because it was Yogi, it was a nightmare because of the way it was handled.

7. October 21st, 2005 | 9:27 am

Rob – if I had to guess, I would think it’s just a move for Sojo – to 1st or the bench. Now, poor Roy White, he could be out in this deal.

October 21st, 2005 | 9:59 am

And, he has some fire in him.
      ======

So does Jaret Wright. He still sucks.

Don’t think it’ll make that much of a difference, it’s not like the Yanks have that hard of a time scoring runs.

9. hopbitters
      October 21st, 2005 | 11:17 am

My guess is Sojo goes to the bench. I just hope Roy stays.

It’s hard to gauge Mattingly’s contributions, but several players who were struggling mightily have credited him with working things out. Crosby, for one, didn’t look like he could hit a slow-pitch beach ball when he came up. He’s still not quite Ted Williams, but he’s a whole lot better than where he started.

10. MJ
      October 21st, 2005 | 12:04 pm

I suppose that’s true and Giambi’s work with Mattingly was well-publicized. Then again, Mattingly (and Denbo before him) seemed to be very passive during the playoffs when all we did was watch our hitters flail away at the first pitch and get the other team off the field (and off the hook) in 10 pitches or less.

I guess my complaint is less with the batting coach and more with the lack of intelligent reporters. Why not ask a question once in a while. Would it kill someone to go up to Donnie and say, “Donnie, it looks like the boys are over-eager up there. What, if anything, have you told them about their approach and making the other pitcher work?” Then we’d have an answer and we’d have a better idea of whether or not Donnie has a pulse.

October 21st, 2005 | 12:28 pm

===========================

Take a look at his minor league numbers

12. MJ
      October 21st, 2005 | 2:54 pm

His minor league stats don’t look so bad. He’s obviously not a future batting champ but he had some stints where the OBP wasn’t too bad.

I don’t know what all of this means in the context of Donnie.

13. hopbitters
      October 21st, 2005 | 4:42 pm

That’s a good point about the approach, MJ. I really can’t answer that either.

A lot of guys have good numbers in the minors and can’t touch a lick of ML pitching. Crosby looked to be one of those guys for quite some time.

October 21st, 2005 | 10:10 pm

I don’t know what all of this means in the context of Donnie.
      ============================

That happened in limited AB’s in the PCL, where everyone hits. At 28 years old, WYSIWYG, WRT Bubba. A caddy/4th OF.

WRT Donnie, there’s not much he can do with Bubba. He hasn’t really hit in the minors, which means he prolly won’t hit in the majors. Same with Giambi. How much of it was Donnie, how much was it his own talent? If you can hit, you can hit, no matter who’s the coach

October 21st, 2005 | 10:20 pm

=============

Yeah, we call them AAAA players. But you have an idea as to why those players are what they are. Maybe they don’t get on base enough in the minors. Maybe they don’t have a lot of power. Maybe their fastball’s a couple of feet short. Maybe they’re too old for the league, etc, etc, etc