• THT Gassko: A-Rod’s No Gold Glove

Posted by on October 24th, 2005 · Comments (7)

David Gassko over at The Hardball Times has an interesting look at the best and worst with the leather this year.

According to his findings, Alex Rodriguez stunk with the glove this past season. I wonder how this would look if one were to use first half stats versus second half stats? Earlier this year, I thought A-Rod was a stiff at 3rd – esp. going to his right. But, in the second half of the season, he seemed to be stellar in the field. It was night and day.

Even more interesting to me are the low ratings in this study for Juan Pierre and Vernon Wells. I thought Wells looked great in CF this year. And, I wished that the Yankees had a chance to get him. Also, we all know that Pierre is on the Yankees radar. If the glove is not there for Juan, then why bother?

Juse trade Pavano for Nook Logan and then bat him 9th when he gets here.

Comments on THT Gassko: A-Rod’s No Gold Glove

1. October 24th, 2005 | 10:43 am

Following-up, FYI, I wrote to David on his study – and shared this link. He quickly replied (thanks David!) and said that, while the inseason breakdown on his “range” was NA, based on ZR, A-Rod was -15 runs in the first half of the year and average in the second. So, there was some great improvement of note.

2. MJ
      October 24th, 2005 | 11:47 am

I’m not as stats-minded as some others but I think there must be a problem when the creator of a system says things like “I don’t know what happened here” or “I was totally surprised by this…” I have trouble believing in a system that tells me that Jeromy Burnitz was a better defensive outfielder than, say, anyone else on earth. I understand the formula this guy used but there must be a flaw or something he isn’t factoring in because there’s just no way that these ratings make sense.

3. Jason O.
      October 24th, 2005 | 12:05 pm

We can get Vernon Wells…If we trade Gary Sheffield.

4. JJay
      October 24th, 2005 | 12:18 pm

I’m going to be honest: I completely stopped reading that article after Kevin Millar got honorable mention. What system is this again? I’m a Yankees fan but I’m in MA so I switch between YES and NESN and catch a LOT of Sox games and Millar is one of the worst defensive players in baseball. I’m not going to spend one second trying to make sense of this “Rating” if it’s going to tell me Millar was among the top defensive 1st Basemen.

5. JohnnyC
      October 24th, 2005 | 2:36 pm

All sabermetric analyses are not created equal.

6. Nick from Washington Heights
      October 24th, 2005 | 7:16 pm

This article strikes me a little like the work of the geeky scientist from the Simpsons.

7. October 25th, 2005 | 1:41 am

Sometimes you all get a little too phatheaded fro your own good. This idea is parsing beyond grammar. Who’s idea this is, has poorly done. To quote Yoda. A-rod was the man at 3rd. I watched the games. End.