• Cashman & Theo In Cahoots?

Posted by on October 26th, 2005 · Comments (7)

Bill Madden suggests it:

If you believe the scuttlebutt from the GMs at the World Series, Brian Cashman’s prolonged negotiation with Yankees general partner Steve Swindal is directly related to Theo Epstein’s holdout in Boston.

“They’re pals,” said one GM, “and I’m sure they’re both holding out as long as they can, if nothing else, to give Theo additional leverage so he gets what he wants from the Red Sox. In any case, Brian’s going to get his money.”

I doubt this is true. But, if it were true, I would find it troubling that there is a friendship between the two GMs.

Mutual respect and admiration are fine. But, if there’s a chance that having Theo Epstein as GM helps the Boston Red Sox, then it should be Cashman’s concern that he does not get the job – and Cash’s goal should not be that Theo gets the job and is rewarded financially for doing it as well.

But, again, before I really start to rant, I would want to see more proof that this could be true.

Comments on Cashman & Theo In Cahoots?

October 26th, 2005 | 11:20 am

If they’re friends, so what?

2. MJ
      October 26th, 2005 | 11:38 am

Cash is best buddies with Billy Beane too. I don’t much care who Cash is friends with as long as when it comes to negotiations for players, scouting, etc. that friendship doesn’t get in the way of doing the job for the Yanks. If Cash is playing games with Bitchbrenner, it doesn’t bother me since Bitchbrenner’s got it (and more) coming to him. And if it costs Larry “Fuckface” Lucchino more to keep his boy genius, that’s less he’s got to spend on Paul Konerko this winter.

Also, I should mention, as good as Theo might be, I think he gets a tad too much credit. If everything he ever wanted to do had gone 100% according to plan, Manny would be someplace else, they’d have ARod, Contreras would be theirs, Javy Vazquez would be theirs, they’d have gotten Pavano and would have signed Nomar to a 4 year contract which would have meant no Cabrera. A case can be made that Contreras, Vazquez and Pavano MIGHT have been good pickups for them but might also have been as bad for them as they were/are for us. So, if Theo wants to stay and command top dollar for his services, that’s fine. The real key is that we stop making his job easier for him. If he wants shitbag bums like Pavano who have a total track record of success of 1 year, hey, go for it, knock yourself out.

3. Shaun P.
      October 26th, 2005 | 11:55 am

The Globe today says the hangup with Epstein isn’t over money, its over Lucchino’s management style, which is apparently very different from Theo’s. Hmm, sounds kinda familiar – I can see why Theo and Cash might be friends.

Honestly, SL, do you really think that Epstein isn’t going to be Boston’s GM going forward? I think he’s got the job, no doubts. Given that, who cares if Cashman helps him get paid more? Maybe that means the Sox spend a little less on payroll. =)

4. October 26th, 2005 | 1:16 pm

In retrospect, I suppose this is no different than Tom Yawkey and Dan Topping drinking together. Still, again, and *if true* I just wish that any spare time that Cash had was spent on the Yankees (either in terms of improving the situation in the office there or finding players need) instead worrying about helping a Red Sox employee. But, that’s just me.

5. JohnnyC
      October 26th, 2005 | 2:04 pm

Steve, doesn’t this smell like another wholly fabricated story from the busy fingers of Bill “I have no idea what the MVP award is” Madden? Like exactly how would Cashman’s availability (at a much higher salary level to boot)positively affect Epstein’s money grab with the Sox? When they say it’s not about the money…it’s about the money. Theo feels insulted by the offer from Boston (gee, now he knows how Nomaaahh felt…sweet irony). I’ve read in the Boston papers that Theo might very well leave baseball altogether and put his law degree to use in Hollywood, repping Ben Affleck and the ilk. For various reasons, Theo would probably be more suited to the fleshpots oh Hollyweird.

6. rbj
      October 26th, 2005 | 2:12 pm

Cash sticking up George for more money won’t have as much of an impact on the the Yankees’ payroll that Theo’s sticking up Larry will have on Boston’s payroll. Help a friend and hurt your biggest competitor at the same time. I’ve got no problem with Brian & Theo being friends, I’m sure they can separate business from personal life.

7. Nick from Washington Heights
      October 26th, 2005 | 2:20 pm

As JohnnyC points out, this sounds like an imagined story from a writer who knows he won’t be held accountable if it’s complete fiction. Such is the life of a veteran sports scribe.

Even if true, I’m hardly annoyed that there is a sense of fraternity between two young general managers. And if Cashman is that Machiavellian, it probably bodes well. If he’s given more control perhaps he can pull off more A-rod coups, given his cunning nature.