• Tomonori Maeda

Posted by on October 26th, 2005 · Comments (12)

I wonder if Tomonori Maeda is on the Yankees radar at all? Yes, he’s not young. But, he’s a CF-speed type player. And, Brett Butler (who Tomonori Maeda is like in size and style) was still productive in his late 30′s. And, yes, Maeda is a free agent now. This is another guy that would warrant an invite to Spring Training – if that’s something he’s willing to do.

Comments on Tomonori Maeda

1. October 26th, 2005 | 8:41 pm

I venture to repeat myself, we have the perfect backup in Bubba; move forward and no more experiments. I have heard that the only way we would get Torii Hunter is to give up Cano, but I’m sure that can be worked around. No more experiments, get a good CF. The right person could galvanize this team, and some of Hunter’s grumbling might mean he has some guts.

2. October 26th, 2005 | 10:38 pm

Steve, a name that hasn’t been mentioned (yet…I’ll prob. do a post eventually or something) is Randy Winn. Contracutally, there is an option that SF holds on him for next year (most people think that they will pick it up). I was wondering when the organization will have to let people know their decision (becuase if they decline it…again, probably wishful thinking…Winn is a very good fit for what the Yankees need and won’t cost nearly as much as the overhyped Damon & Hunter. We shall see.

(And I maintain that we have the guy who can start over Bubba in Kevin Thompson)

3. October 26th, 2005 | 11:41 pm

James – from most reports that I’ve seen, Winn is a sub-par fielding CF. I’m not sure he’s the answer.

4. October 26th, 2005 | 11:41 pm

I don’t mean to be a pest but I have had another thought. After injuries abate, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays will have 2 CFs in Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli. I think either could play CF for the Yankees quite well. Baldelli should come cheap because of his injury but I might actually like Crawford better. Unlike some previous posts, this is not an experiment. These are proven players for whom we could trade and have good success.

5. Jason O.
      October 26th, 2005 | 11:51 pm

Rocco Baldelli….maybe, and better than what the Yanks have. (Remember when Karl Ravech kept calling him the second coming of Joe D. on BBTN 2 years ago? That was a hoot)

Crawford…Way too expensive. The Yanks would have to give up too much for his wheels.

Also, I’m not inclined to get Hunter if Cano is involved. RC is going to have a huge year in 06.

6. October 27th, 2005 | 12:37 am

I agree too much for TH if RC is involved. I’m not sure where you’re coming from when you say it would take too much to get Carl Crawford. The two players are held in the same esteem by the TBDR. More info, please?

7. October 27th, 2005 | 10:22 am

Steve,
      I’m not really sure about his defensive woes. The last time he played CF on a regular basis was 04 and he had a pretty decent year in the field (don’t know what his throwing arm is like though).

And surprise! it looks like it compares with Torii Hunter’s 04 season.

Course, I’m not sure as to how reliable defensive metrics are.

8. October 27th, 2005 | 11:01 am
    9. October 27th, 2005 | 11:44 am

Oh good lord, there goes that idea. I can’t imagine another year with a Bernie type arm in center (hence why I am so opposed to any talk of Damon signing).

October 27th, 2005 | 12:02 pm

RC is going to have a huge year in 06.
      ======

Based on?

I hope it happens, but he needs to learn the strike zone, maybe take a pitch or two. As is, it looks like Ricky Ledee playing 2b.

The upside is that he’s 22, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

October 27th, 2005 | 12:14 pm

Speaking of the USS Mariner, did you see the analysis they had on Kevin Brown? Interesting, to say the least. Yanks have no use for him (they’ve already have 7 starters)

October 27th, 2005 | 12:16 pm

didn’t complete the thought…

Yanks have no use for him (they’ve already have 7 starters), but he could be a low risk, high return investment for a team out there.