• Yankees 2005 2nd Half Pitching

Posted by on October 27th, 2005 · Comments (8)

A recent comment to an entry made earlier today had me wondering about how well the Yankees pitched in the second half of 2005. So, I looked at their performace, compared to the rest of the AL, from July 4th through season end, using Runs Saved Above Average (RSAA):

2ndhalfRSAA.jpg

Not bad. New York had the best pitching in the AL East during the 2nd half of the season. But, it’s still not in the class of the very good pitching teams in the AL Central and West.

How do the Yankees close the gap?

Well, their starting pitchers are sorta locked in. You know that it’s going to be Johnson and Mussina at the top. And, because of his contract, if he’s healthy (and not traded), then Pavano gets a spot. And, Chacón and Wang each warranted getting a slot in the rotation next year (based on what they did in 2005). That’s five. Also, there’s Jaret Wright (who’s much like Pavano in terms of status) in the wings.

To improve this bunch, and how they did in the 2nd half, the Yankees need Pavano and Mussina to be healthy and pitch well – and for the others (Chacón, Wang, and Johnson) to do what they did in the 2nd half last year.

And, in the pen, there are huge areas where they can improve. Basically, the Yankees need to add 3 to 4 quality arms in the pen to assist Mariano. (And, I’m assuming that Gordon is gone.) Here, in the end, it may be Brian Cashman who is the person who can make the most positive impact.

Mussina, Pavano and Cashman – three to watch for 2006.

Comments on Yankees 2005 2nd Half Pitching

October 27th, 2005 | 2:11 pm

I expect that either Pavano or Wright will be moved this offseason.

RJ should bounce back, not too sure about Mussina. Small may get a spot in the rotation, but he may be the long man out of the pen.

I wouldn’t be suprised if the Yanks signed another starter. Wacky organization that they are.

Don’t know who’ll be in the pen outside of Proctor & Rivera…

I guess we’ll wait and see

2. rbj
      October 27th, 2005 | 2:51 pm

While Pavano probably has more upside than Wright, from what I’ve heard he wouldn’t mind being traded. Trade him for some bullpen help then sign Burnett.
      Johnson, Mussina, Burnett, Chacon, Wang. With Wright in the pen waiting for one of the others to inevitably go down. ’98-00 the Yankees did have about 6-7 starters each season, “you can never have enough starting pitching” was the mantra, IIRC. Small in the pen too, as long man/spot starter.

3. JohnnyC
      October 27th, 2005 | 2:52 pm

With the White Sox having won this year, I suppose we’ll get a bunch of books published detailing how the Sox “got smart and built a championship team.” It’ll be an antidote to all those Red Sox tomes published this year. Forget about the efficacy of small ball, I’m talking about the real key to their success: acquiring players with dubious character issues. Love it. Cashman ought to be combing through the Rule V lists for more hard-throwing, hard-drinking bullpen arms and dinosaur-denying DH/OFers.

4. October 27th, 2005 | 3:10 pm

The books to come. I had not thought of that. There will be plenty, I’m sure.

I’d be shocked if the Yankees went for Burnett. I hope they learned on Pavano.

And, if Proctor is in the pen next year, then that means that there’s not enough improvement, IMO.

5. MJ
      October 27th, 2005 | 3:30 pm

I hadn’t heard that Pavano wanted out. Screw him. He’s staying.

6. October 27th, 2005 | 9:48 pm

MJ,
      if there was any way that we could get anything of value for Pavano right now, I wouldn’t really mind all that much if he left. Still, being a rational person, I know we would get nothing if we were to shop him now…so screw us, I guess – he’s staying.

Also, Steve, I’d love to hear your opinion on this: http://www.yanksblog.com/item/347 – it looks like conjecture at this point but what a story if it plays out.

October 28th, 2005 | 1:06 pm

=============

In order to get value, you need to give value in return :)

If anything, I’d try to move him in ST, showcase him, show that he’s healthy and can contribute.

Otherwise, we’re stuck with him. That is unless the Yanks find themselves in a “slop swap” type situation, a la Tartabull – Sierra in 1995

October 29th, 2005 | 3:25 pm

==============
      Agreed.

Looking at his minor league numbers (the baseball cube owns all, IMO :) ), I am a bit suprised that someone who throws as hard as he does doesn’t miss more bats.