• Mystery ‘Roider

Posted by on October 28th, 2005 · Comments (14)

Thanks to James Varghese of YanksBlog.com for bringing the story of the AL post-season OFer mystery ‘roider to my attention.

First of all, I doubt this is a Yankees player. I would be shocked if it’s Matsui. And, if it were Bernie Williams, at this point, do we even care? As Jen of NoSenseWorrying.com points out in a comment over at BaseballMusings.com, if there’s an agent involved, that sorta suggests that it’s not Sheffield.

Therefore, from the Yankees fans perspective, this should just be a “fun” wait and see rumor/story – and not something to fret over.

There are at least a dozen suspects – and at least 3 or 4 strong ones in that group. Let the speculation begin.

Comments on Mystery ‘Roider

1. JohnnyC
      October 28th, 2005 | 11:32 am

The key quote from Carroll is it’s someone fans would care about. That eliminates Steve Finley (although it’s pretty clear he was on the juice at least during his DBacks days)and even Trot Nixon. I’m guessing it’s Johnny Damon. Although it’d be a hoot if it turned out to be Manny.

2. MJ
      October 28th, 2005 | 11:40 am

I’m personally rooting for it to be Damon or Jermaine Dye. I never liked Dye.

3. MJ
      October 28th, 2005 | 11:43 am

I forgot to mention this, and someone else posted this on musings or elsewhere, but this just seems like a fabricated story to me. I remember after the Raffy story broke that “reports” came out that Rocket and Damon were next on the suspension list. It never happened. Given the impending deadline imposed by Congress for baseball to get its drug policy in order, I’d assume that if there was someone to crucify, they’d have done it already. Somehow, I think this is more bunk reporting.

October 28th, 2005 | 12:58 pm

The key quote from Carroll is it’s someone fans would care about.
      ======================

Then it’s Bernie… Gotta be! Remember the reaction he got from YS crowds? The fans care about him

He’s had knee problems, like Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Jason Giambi.

He’s bigger now @ 38, than when he came up @ 22.

Remember those goofy glasses he used to wear? Doesn’t wear them anymore. Steroids make you see better…

Could be Don Mattingly. In the minors, he never hit more than 10 HRs. Comes up to the majors, *bang* 23. Next year, *bang* 35.

sheesh…

Given the caliber of players that have failed, I’d say it’s an argument AGAINST the use of PED’s, not for it

5. DFLNJ
      October 28th, 2005 | 1:44 pm

————————
      I have a feeling the lower level players that are failing are failing because they lack either the knowledge or (more likely) the money, that the richer players are using to allow them to not get caught. More money means better masking agents and/ or designer steriods that aren’t showing up on tests.

6. Don
      October 28th, 2005 | 1:50 pm

Why was Carroll involved in the appeal process?

I know from personal correspondence with Carroll that he’s nothing but an apologist for Barry Bonds and any and all baseball cheaters.

October 28th, 2005 | 2:43 pm

=======================================

A) Show me the proof.
      B) Show me your degree in chemistry, biology, or a related field.
      C) Show me your results

Carroll was probably involved due to his knowledge on the subject matter. Were you ever a UTK subscriber?

8. October 28th, 2005 | 8:29 pm

Thanks for the mention, Steve.

I’d personally care if it was Bernie. Honestly, it’d crush me.

9. ieddyi
      October 28th, 2005 | 11:30 pm

“A) Show me the proof.
      B) Show me your degree in chemistry, biology, or a related field.
      C) Show me your results”

You may attack the attackers credentials, but it doesn’t make your point for you.

Carroll book is evidence of his unease with any penalties for steroid use.

Carroll himself has no medical degree, but that hasn’t stopped him from creating a niche for himself expounding on medical matters.

What kind of “results” make a differrence in a discussion about whether a player has been caught juicing or not?

10. October 29th, 2005 | 11:49 am

Patrick – if it was Bernie, why let it crush you? All it means is that, in the one (and 1st) year that they were testing, he got caught. And, it’s not like his 2005 season was a Maris ’61 thing where a great record would then be tainted.

October 29th, 2005 | 11:54 am

Carroll book is evidence of his unease with any penalties for steroid use.
      ===================================

Could it be that it’s because we have yet to see what impact steroids has on the game? I have yet to see conclusive evidence that “juicing” has any sort of impact on the game. Just a lot of chicken littles running around

You either can play, or you can’t. If you can’t, the best steroids in the world ain’t gonna help you.

October 29th, 2005 | 1:32 pm

=================================

Why should it matter? Oh, because it doesn’t “fit” an agenda. Got it…

13. Don
      October 29th, 2005 | 1:48 pm

None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

October 29th, 2005 | 3:18 pm

Yeah, I suppose proof is too much to ask.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc

“The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led.” – Edgar Allan Poe