• Bernie Mariner?

Posted by on November 16th, 2005 · Comments (7)

From the Snohomish County Herald:

There are some players the Mariners may pursue with hopes they can regenerate their past power. Those include Denny Hocking, a switch-hitter who hit 22 homers and drove in 68 runs with the Twins two years ago but had just 104 at-bats the past two years with the Rockies and Royals; Terrence Long, who declined a minor-league assignment after hitting six homers and 53 RBI with the Royals; and Bernie Williams, a switch-hitter who hit 11 of his 12 home runs from the left side last season with the Yankees.

To date, this is the only whisper that I can find where a team is maybe expressing an interest in Bernie Williams (outside of the Yankees) for 2006. I think Bernie and his agent should take the hint.

Comments on Bernie Mariner?

1. DFLNJ
      November 16th, 2005 | 9:56 am

Are the Mariners trying to field a team that will lose 100 games?

Replacing Ruben with Bernie as a switch-hitting pinch hitter seems like a huge upgrade to me, if Bernie would accept that role.

2. Shaun P.
      November 16th, 2005 | 10:52 am

Wow, now there’s a stretch. “Regenerate” their past power? What power has Long (or Hocking for that matter) ever had? Bernie, please don’t go to die in Seattle. That would be painful.

I think Bernie could do fine in a 5th OF/PH role – especially if it meant Sierra was gone for good. My concern – as first stated by Steven Goldman – is that Torre might be too tempted to run Bernie out to CF the first time Bubba (or whoever) goes into a slump. Not a risk I want to take.

3. November 16th, 2005 | 11:03 am

Ditto on that concern over that risk.

November 16th, 2005 | 11:10 am

Tell him,

“Bernie, you’ll be our full time DH. You’ll get a start in CF every so often. Maybe LF. But your days as a FT CF’er are over. You know it as well as we do; your shoulders are shot, your knees are going and you’re not as young as you used to be.”

5. Don
      November 16th, 2005 | 2:02 pm

So we want a full time DH with chronically bad shoulders? Bernie seems done to me as far as any real steady contributions.

Time to move on.

November 16th, 2005 | 3:34 pm

================================

Sure, we had a full time 1b with a chonic bad back.

I’d rather have Bernie full time @ DH than Reuben Sierra

7. rbj
      November 16th, 2005 | 4:50 pm

AS much as I hate to say it, I don’t think Bernie can even DH full time. I’ve got no problem with him going to Seattle if he wants to try and prolong his career; I’ll just wish him the best of luck — except against the Yankees of course.