• Torre & Cash Continue To Talk About Bubba

Posted by on November 16th, 2005 · Comments (16)

From MLB.com:

The answer — at least for now — may even come from within the organization, as both Cashman and Joe Torre said that Bubba Crosby could be the man when Spring Training opens in three months.

“It’s too early in the process to say, but it’s possible,” Cashman said. “I can’t tell you if it’s probable or not, because it’s only Nov. 16. We have an in-house guy that is a fly-ball catcher at the very least. With the offensive lineup we have, we can afford that.”

Crosby hit .276 with one home run and six RBIs in 98 at-bats last season, though he batted .327 in 55 at-bats during the season’s final month. He also made two starts in center field during the Division Series.

“Bubba showed some signs,” Torre said. “He’s not a world-beater, but he made some adjustments, offensively, which made him an option in important games down the stretch and in the postseason, which never would have been an option before.”

Based on who else is out there, and those who the Yankees have already said “no thanks” to (because of talent or asking price), I am beginning to think more and more that Bubba in 2006 might be a reality.

Hey, somebody has to bat 9th, right?

Comments on Torre & Cash Continue To Talk About Bubba

1. Nick from Washington Heights
      November 16th, 2005 | 4:43 pm

So, is signing Giles still in the plans? Or is the idea that Crosby would start in CF even with Giles and Sheff on the team?

2. rbj
      November 16th, 2005 | 4:47 pm

Nice to see them at least talking this way. I wonder if Bubba’s actually thought of as an option or if he’s just being mentioned to drive prices.

3. JohnnyC
      November 16th, 2005 | 8:35 pm

Of course, there’s a rumor abroad that the Yankees are working on a 3-way deal that would bring Aaron Rowand to the middle pasture in the Stadium. With Cameron likely to go to San Diego for Nady, the number of available CFers is dwindling like potential Boston GM candidates.

4. November 16th, 2005 | 11:17 pm

I have actually heard a rumor that there was something in the works to bring Ichiro Suzuki to the Yankees, a blockbuster for sure. I’ve not heard it anywhere but one verbal source, but I’m wondering if anyone here has a clue?

5. JohnnyC
      November 17th, 2005 | 12:20 am

Ichiro is just letting off steam…tired of losing, tired of the aimless management situation…but the Mariners, given their Japanese ownership, won’t be trading him anytime soon. In fact, they’ve got the inside track on Jojima…in part to pacify Ichiro. Now, Rowand is really available because there are more than a few blue chip prospects in back of him and they’ll need his and Thomas’ money to pay Konerko. All that said, the chances of the Yankees making a match with the Sox are pretty low.

November 17th, 2005 | 8:50 am

\\I think Giles was at best a possible platoon, thank you Casey, with Bubba. At worst, he was an attempt to keep Matsui honest.\\ – Both are LH batters…

And Ichiro ain’t coming to the Yankees…

7. MJ
      November 17th, 2005 | 8:58 am

Can someone tell me why we’re even talking about Giles? I understand what his OBP was, blah, blah, blah. He’ll be 35 going into next season, he’s certainly no longer a power hitter and he’s, at best, an adequate fielder. What is the fascination with Giles? What does he bring to the table that we don’t already have in abundance (good offense, mediocre to bad fielding)? I thought the lessons of 2005 were to get younger, get more athletic, more defensive-oriented. I also thought the lesson was to not spend money like drunken sailors or to make trades/signings that don’t make sense. Unless Giles wants to learn how to pitch in middle relief, I don’t see the value to bringing him here. We’re better off with getting Milton Bradley at 75% of the cost.

November 17th, 2005 | 10:09 am

1. Yanks need a CF’er, and it seems Giles is the best option.

2. Getting younger and athletic costs. Yanks don’t have the resources. I’d like a trade for Bradley as well, but what do the Yanks have to offer the Dodgers? It doesn’t make sense to go with a 1-year stopgap, because it’s not guaranteed Bradley will come to NY.

3. May as well slug their way to another division title, and cross your fingers in the playoffs. Another bat couldn’t hurt, and it’s an upgrade over Williams.

4. You don’t need a power hitter, a hitter will do. I’m sure Giles would love to get out of Petco (check his home/road splits)

9. MJ
      November 17th, 2005 | 11:06 am

1. Still not sure how making either Matsui or Giles the everyday CF is the best option. How many more triples to Death Valley do we need to see before we decide that man at third, one out isn’t the best position to be in every single inning?

2. What kind of money are we talking about for Giles. If we’re breaking the bank for him like I think we are, I just don’t get it.

3. How would that make sense. We’ve tried that every which way and it isn’t working. Why not try a new approach? Look, with ARod, Sheffield, Matsui and a re-born Giambi, we’re still slugging but how about not having the most porous outfield defense for the 2nd straight year? How about not forcing our semi-shitty pitchers to be perfect every night?

4. The splits do show that Petco hurt him. They don’t show that Petco hurt him by a wide margin the way Soriano can’t hit out of Ameriquest. A little bump is all we should expect. At 35, for the price, the lack of a super glove, it’s not like he’s going to be reborn into a great hitter again. I guess if we’re paying him $10M to walk 100 times and hit 18 homers, well, I just don’t know if that’s worth the price of just being average in CF again.

My vote is for Giles to find another home. I’m tired of the fantasy team route.

10. November 17th, 2005 | 11:16 am

I think the Yankees view Giles as Sheff’s replacement after this year – and that they just need to figure out this year on how to play them all.

11. MJ
      November 17th, 2005 | 11:43 am

Will Giles at 36 years old in 2007 better than Sheff? I must be extremely biased anti-Giles or pro-Sheff but I just don’t see it. Sheffield probably talks too much but GAWD I love him. I’m not a fan of the stoic, dull Giles. I love my fiesty Sheff with his laser line drives.

12. November 17th, 2005 | 11:46 am

By the end of the 2007 season, Sheff will be knocking on the door of age 39. Giles is be a younger option. Makes sense to me. You want a near 40-year-old Sheffield in RF in 2007?

November 17th, 2005 | 11:54 am

1. You have limited options. Matsui & Giles may not be the best option, but they’re the best options available. As for your “triples to Death Valley” question, Yanks gave up 17, good for 6th in the league.

2. I don’t know what kind of $$ they’re talking, but when it comes to the Yanks, that’s hardly an issue.

3. That way is going to have to work, lest they try the “Bronx Burners” approach again. The infield is set, the outfield is almost set, the roation is set, the bullpen can be rebuilt. They’re going to have to hit their way to another division title with the crew they have. Who’s going to get benched or traded to put more speed/youth in the lineup? The pitchers don’t have to be perfect, they merely need to average. Despite all the troubles the Yanks had in the pitching dept, they had the 2nd best record in the league. Get to the playoffs, and whatever happens, happens. It wasn’t the defense’s fault that Arod grounded into a double play in game 5. It wasn’t the defense’s fault that the Yanks blew the 2004 ALCS, it wasn’t the defense’s fault that the Marlins won the 2003 WS, so on and so forth.

4. The splits show that Giles can hit on the road, unlike Soriano. Yankee Stadium is a pitcher’s park, but not to the extent that Petco is. You’re getting a bump in defense & offense (is he worse than the cast that played CF last year?), at a price similar to Matsui

There aren’t many options out there. Go for it.

November 17th, 2005 | 12:02 pm

=======================================

Depends if he still can play. If he can’t play RF or LF, and still has the bat speed, he can DH

Giles is not *that* much younger than Sheffield (3 years)

15. November 17th, 2005 | 12:19 pm

When the difference is between 37 and 40, it’s a lot.

November 17th, 2005 | 12:29 pm

When the difference is between 37 and 40, it’s a lot.
      ====================
      pfft…

Roger Clemens is considerably older than Carl Pavano & Jaret Wright, I’d rather have him than those two…