• Craig Monroe

Posted by on November 17th, 2005 · Comments (13)

From Newsday:

In their pursuit of a centerfielder, the Yankees have been all over the map, checking out high-end items such as Damon and lower-end trade possibilities like the Tigers’ Craig Monroe. But Torre’s call to Giles, whose strength is offense, seemingly indicates the Yankees’ sincere interest in him, even with Matsui in the fold.

Craig Monroe is a somewhat decent stick – but, he’s not a pure CF. I have to question is range in that spot. Plus, the guy stole a $30 belt from a department store in Florida last year. This tells me that he is completely dead from the neck up.

Pass.

Comments on Craig Monroe

1. DFLNJ
      November 17th, 2005 | 12:51 pm

If we want kleptomaniac centerfielders, we can always get Ruben Rivera

2. JohnnyC
      November 17th, 2005 | 1:55 pm

Is there any law under which Chris Russo can be prosecuted? Fer chrissake, it’s one thing to be an anti-Yankees blowhard but can he even bother to get any facts right? I nominate him for stealing the most money in the sports talk field without even a shred of knowledge about almost anything he talks about. It is not even funny anymore how many times he has to avoid eating crow whenever a caller calls him on another of his moronic and infantile predictions or opinions. Sorry, I know this is relevant only to Yankees fans who live in the NY area and are needlessly inflicted with Russo’s act.

3. JohnnyC
      November 17th, 2005 | 1:56 pm

And Francesa’s his enabler. A sad, sad case.

November 17th, 2005 | 1:59 pm

Is there any law under which Chris Russo can be prosecuted?

==================

I wish there was. I take my own personal stance by not listening to him… Screw him and his ilk.

As for Monroe, if he can play, go for him, if not, pass. I couldn’t care less that he (allegedly) stole a $30 belt.

5. JohnnyC
      November 17th, 2005 | 2:02 pm

One last thing…for all those media hacks like Raissman and Mushnick who revile YES and its announcers for supposedly licking the Boss’s fat toes up and down River Avenue, how do you explain YES broadcasting the daily George-bashing and giddy Yankees-bashing that is the Mike and the Mad Dog Show? Will the Mets’ new network be airing Michael Kay’s show anytime soon? Right.

6. MJ
      November 17th, 2005 | 2:23 pm

JohnnyC, was this “licking the Boss’s fat toes” image really necessary? I’m going to be sick.

Good point though – no one remembers that M&MD spend most of their time farting anti-Yankee hot air out of their big mouths while sitting in a studio that has YES cameras in it. Plus, and I think this is the most important point, who freakin’ cares if YES is biased? We’re watching it for the games, not the other stuff. We’re watching because we’re fans. If we want hard-hitting analysis and commentary, we’ll go to sites like this one and other baseball blogs that have more well-rounded viewpoints. All I want out of my YES Network is an unmanageable 3 hours of evening entertainment from April 1 to October 1.

7. Nick from Washington Heights
      November 17th, 2005 | 2:27 pm

I suggest a New Yorker article from last year about Mike and the Angry Puppy. Pretty hilarious stuff. Their success only validates the assertion that success in America is not always based on ones knowledge.

It’s sad that there are no mainstream outlets on ny radio that provide intelligent sports discussion. But maybe someone knows of something?

8. JohnnyC
      November 17th, 2005 | 2:30 pm

Exactly, MJ, but all the haters are interested in is if Kim Jones gets her questions from George. Boy, these guys must have really liked her before she got this gig ‘cos they’re really dissing her journalistic chops now. I guess if Edward Murrow came back from the dead to host Centerstage, they’d write that he was in George’s pocket as well.

November 17th, 2005 | 2:56 pm

=========

And there never will be.

10. rbj
      November 17th, 2005 | 2:59 pm

Craig Monroe? The Tigers have 2 (count ‘em, two) CFs in Curtis Granderson (fields decent and has a bat) and Nook Logan (fields decent and has, um, speedy legs). Craig’s a corner fielder.

And why would anyone think that the Y(ANKEE) ES network would be biased for the Yankees? I wouldn’t think NESN would be pro-Red Sox
      /sarcasm.

11. Jason O.
      November 17th, 2005 | 5:17 pm

I’m still excited from the previous post re: Joey Gathright.

He has Rickey in Oakland speed.

12. November 18th, 2005 | 8:30 am

He also has the base stealer arrogance that Bernie never had. It seems to make sense – TB has more than enough OFers and would probably like a young arm for their system.

November 18th, 2005 | 10:59 am

He also has the base stealer arrogance that Bernie never had.
      ===============

Stolen bases are overrated. Mind you, the Yanks had the greatest leadoff hitter here for 5 years, and won bupkis.

The running game isn’t what it used to be in MLB. As long as he can get on base, and cover center field competently, I’ll be happy