• Saving Ryan’s Privates

Posted by on November 18th, 2005 · Comments (10)

Three weeks ago, I wrote:

[B.J.] Ryan is an interesting call. I just have a feeling about him not doing well in a big market like New York or in post-season pressure. It’s just a hunch. I have no facts to back it up. It just seems like he’s folded in some big spots before. But, maybe that’s just my memory playing tricks on me?

Now, today, Newsday is reporting:

Although Ryan said toward the end of September that he was open to setting up for Rivera, it appears to have been nothing more than a negotiating tactic. He recently told a friend he does not want to deal with the “stress” of pitching for the Yankees.

His preference is to close for a team with at least a chance of competing for a world championship, according to a person familiar with his thinking, which is why he chose to visit the Blue Jays, Tigers and Mets this week and not the Yankees.

I guess I wasn’t fooled by my sometimes tricky memory.

There’s a punch-line in here somewhere about a guy named B.J. not having cojones – but, then again, I like to think this is a family-friendly site.

Comments on Saving Ryan’s Privates

1. MJ
      November 18th, 2005 | 9:45 am

You’ve got to respect a man honest enough to know his limitations. You’ve also got to laugh at a man that uses the words “at least a chance of competing for a world championship” and “Blue Jays, Tigers and Mets” in the same sentence. I don’t know, maybe the Blue Jays can get close because they’ve got Halladay and are going after Burnett. But the Tigers and Mets? Please. The Tigers are swimming under the weight of Pudge’s and Magglio’s contracts and no amount of Bonderman/Maroth development will change the fact that the Tigers can’t afford much else with those two cinderblocks tied around their neck. The Mets, well, they’re the Mets. And if BJ doesn’t like the idea of pitching under pressure in the Bronx, pitching under pressure at Shea isn’t too much fun either. The Daily News and NY Post will still bash you in the morning, even if your stripes are Orange and Blue.

2. Jason O.
      November 18th, 2005 | 9:56 am

If true, this development makes Farnsworth a lock. It also means the Yanks must move on the other 1-2 quality arms that have been indentified.

3. JohnnyC
      November 18th, 2005 | 10:29 am

It doesn’t make a bit of difference who we sign and at what $$$ to stock the pen as long as Joe Torre runs his pitching staff the way he does. The retaining of Sturtze (as well as his evident enthusiasm for Brian Giles) are bad, bad signs for 2006 being the “same old, same old” again. Can we finally wake up and smell the coffee on this guy, please? Dollars to donuts, if Giles signs elsewhere, Bernie plays more games in CF than anyone on this roster in 2006. And Sierra returns for his farewell tour. Well, the Cashman pipe dream was nice while it lasted. Why do I get the feeling we’ve been given the bait and switch one more time?

November 18th, 2005 | 10:47 am

==========================

Yeah, tell me about it. I have no idea how the Yanks won 95 games last season, despite the players they had

5. JohnnyC
      November 18th, 2005 | 10:57 am

The Yankees won 95 games last year because they had a team with a payroll of 208 million dollars, almost $80 million more than the next highest payroll…that’s more than the entire payroll of either WS participant this year! As an objective Yankees fan I would hope you would acknowledge that fact. This was a team that had the second best offense in the major leagues and Randy Johnson and Mariano Rivera book-ending its admittedly sketchy (due to age and injury)pitching staff. If Curt Schilling had been healthy all year, we’d have missed the playoffs. And everyone except Joe Sheehan predicted 100+ wins for this team in 2005.

November 18th, 2005 | 11:14 am

======================

As an objective fan, I acknowledge that they won in spite of the payroll, not because of it; Pavano? Wright? Williams? Brown? Womack? It wasn’t those guys who saved the Yanks, it was small ticket items like Small, Wang, Chacon, etc

7. Don
      November 18th, 2005 | 1:20 pm

Ahhhhhh! JohnnyC starting his Torre bashing early.

Sort of like getting your Christmas shopping done early?

And don’t forget the mistletoe!

8. Nick from Washington Heights
      November 18th, 2005 | 1:30 pm

“retaining of Sturtze (as well as his evident enthusiasm for Brian Giles) are bad, bad signs for 2006 being the “same old, same old” again. Can we finally wake up and smell the coffee on this guy, please?”

I get the Sturtze part of the comment, but I’m not sure why liking Giles is a sign of more of the same. I think Giles would be a good signing because he’d be able to spell Sheff in right on the days Giambi is at first, and he’ll be another great bat in the line-up. When Sheff leaves after 2006, he’ll step into his role.

9. JohnnyC
      November 20th, 2005 | 12:33 pm

Don, sorry to offend true believers like you. And Happy Hanukah to you too.

10. JohnnyC
      November 20th, 2005 | 12:54 pm

Nick, Brian Giles is not a centerfielder. It’s as simple as that. And if anyone thinks that the team will “rotate” CF/DH/1B in 2006 in any way that makes baseball sense, well, shake hands with Kenny Lofton, Tony Womack, and Ruben Sierra. They’ve obviously not seen their wonderful contributions to the team in recent seasons.