From the AP via FOX:
One of baseball’s most fearsome offensive duos in 2005 — Red Sox’s David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez — appears to be history.
According to Ortiz, “Manny is not returning to Boston.”
“Manny is living through a difficult situation (in Boston) that only he and his family know and he no longer wants to play there,” said Ortiz after arriving early Monday in the Dominican Republic.
Ramirez has asked for a trade in each of his five seasons with the Red Sox, but apparently this one is definite.
“I spoke with him last week before he left for Brazil and he told me that he wants to go to a team in the West,” Ortiz, the Red Sox’s designated hitter, said.
Ramirez has three years worth $160 million remaining on his contract and eight seasons with the Red Sox. Because of his status as a player with 10 seasons in the major leagues and five with the same team, he is allowed to approve any trade.
“I found out that that they are doing everything possible to trade him,” Ortiz said.
There’s some rain on the Beckett parade. Any team that throws a strike to Ortiz next year without Manny behind him should be sued in court for not trying to win. Get your walkin’ shoes on Papi.