• Now We Play Doctor?

Posted by on November 22nd, 2005 · Comments (7)

From the Daily News:

Yanks GM Brian Cashman did not return a call seeking comment, but other baseball officials said the Yanks had concerns about Beckett’s health. He has been on the disabled list seven times in the last four years, most often for blister problems.

I guess the lessons on Steve Karsay, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, and Jaret Wright are starting to pay off, huh? I just wonder if it’s the right application on Beckett.

Comments on Now We Play Doctor?

1. JohnnyC
      November 22nd, 2005 | 1:01 pm

Steve, it doesn’t matter what Cashman’s opinion of Beckett is…the Yankees were never approached I’m sure. In fact, not accepting an All-Star 3rd Baseman in his mid-twenties and the top pitching prospect of an organization from the Rangers in order to send Beckett and Lowell to the Red Sox is a pretty good indication that this is just another iteration of Bud Selig’s favorite game: keep it away from George. I don’t suppose Selig feels any gratitude to Steinbrenner for allowing 28 out of 30 franchises to turn a profit this season (mostly due to luxury tax and revenue sharing dollars from the Yankees over several years). It’s ironic that the two teams not turning a profit are the Nationals and the Marlins. Or is it?

2. MJ
      November 22nd, 2005 | 1:41 pm

I love a good conspiracy theory but I’m not sure I buy that Selig made the Marlins turn down a Blalock-centered trade just so he could deliver Beckett to Boston.

Having said that, the whole Loria from Montreal to Miami/Henry from Miami to Boston related-party transaction reeks of illegality and scam-artistry. So I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if Henry and Loria cooked this one (and the Delgado one coming up) with Selig’s blessing.

November 22nd, 2005 | 1:59 pm

Besides, if it were blisters Cash was worried about, I’d have Beckett ask Mr. Leiter for advice :D

4. November 22nd, 2005 | 2:07 pm

Heck, I’m sure Posada would have offered to piss on his hands if he came over.

5. JohnnyC
      November 22nd, 2005 | 5:40 pm

Loria’s been in Europe for several weeks (buying art?). David Samson, the poor sucker’s ex-wife’s son, has the reins of the franchise right now…apparently has edged old ex-step-dad out of the pilot’s chair of the cockpit. With a move to Las Vegas in the works for 2008, I don’t suppose Loria really cares at this point. He’ll make out like a bandit for being Selig’s bag man in the whole Montreal-Florida-Boston-Washington-Las Vegas scam. And to think, Loria was one of those 1% minority owners of the Yankees way back when. Selig can spot a pigeon when he sees one.

6. JohnnyC
      November 22nd, 2005 | 5:42 pm

Of course, Henry was one of those one-percenters too.

November 23rd, 2005 | 10:31 am

It’s a crime the way that franchise if Florida’s being run. It was a crime the way Loria ran the Expos into the ground.

Loria is bad for baseball