• Did Florida Juice Lead To Marlins 2003 Ring?

Posted by on November 26th, 2005 · Comments (13)

I thought Yankees fans might be interested in an essay that I did on the team that beat them in the 2003 World Series:

Did Florida Juice Lead To Marlins 2003 Ring?

Comments on Did Florida Juice Lead To Marlins 2003 Ring?

1. JohnnyC
      November 27th, 2005 | 12:56 pm

Excellent detective work, Steve. Now take a look at possible juicing among power pitchers of note in recent seasons…you’ll really hit the jackpot there I think. Unfortunately, this is all post facto and all the illuminating analysis we come up with can’t “erase” this rather regrettable episode in baseball’s long history. I wish it were different.

November 27th, 2005 | 3:42 pm

=========================================

Voices from the other side…

3. JohnnyC
      November 27th, 2005 | 11:21 pm

Isn’t Will Carroll the same guy who told us we’d “care” about Matt Lawton being caught for steroids? Steve, PEDs are one of the core issues that divide sabermetricians…and prove that it’s not quite the objective discipline that’s claimed. As the late, lamented Don Malcolm (whatever happened to Don anyway?)was so good in pointing out…the problem’s not in our stars (statistical analysis), Horatio, it’s in our cosmology (the unexamined biases that continue to cloud otherwise clear-headed reasoning). I suggest more sabermetricians bone up on rhetoric as well as mathematics.

4. November 28th, 2005 | 9:53 am

It is interesting on how some are so hell bent on not being willing to consider that the use or stoppage of PEDs can impact a player – and that we should consider that when looking at all the reasons that might be behind numbers changing.

November 28th, 2005 | 9:53 am

===========

How so?

6. Don
      November 28th, 2005 | 2:08 pm

Will Carroll, perpetual apologist for America’s most infamous sports cheater, Barry Bonds.

November 29th, 2005 | 9:20 am

========

Actually, that would be Gaylord Perry. I do appreciate, and am amused with the obsession with Barry Bonds.

All I want is concrete evidence. Apparently that is too much to ask.

Funny how people get all hot and bothered about Palmiero, but are silent when the offender is someone like Matt Lawton, or Ryan Franklin. Make up your minds folks. You either care about everyone, or you care about no one.

Funny thing is, with this new policy, I’m willing to wager that amphetamine testing will have more of an impact than steroid testing.

November 29th, 2005 | 9:25 am
    9. Don
      November 29th, 2005 | 1:40 pm

Nice try Raf but Gaylord Perry did not come close to any single season all-time records as cheater Barry Bonds did and has done. And very late in his career as well.

Proof? The proof is right in front of you. Why the Barry Bonds apologists won’t give up is simply amazing.

November 29th, 2005 | 5:11 pm

==================

Neither did Matt Lawton, Ryan Franklin, Damian Moss, Alex Sanchez, Francisco Rodriguez, yadda yadda yadda. What’s your point?

So what’s the deal? Were they using the wrong steroids? I mean, if PED’s are supposed to improve your game, what happened?

Why the torches and pitchforks crowd wont give up is even more amazing. I remember people salivating at the “big name” that was going to be revealed, only to find out (to the point of disappointment even) that it was “only” Matt Lawton.

Sheep… Heh.

November 29th, 2005 | 5:13 pm

Besides, you would think that after hitting 73 jacks that Bonds would’ve loved the juice so much that he’d do it every year…

12. Don
      November 29th, 2005 | 6:30 pm

BB was already a HoF calibre player, that’s the point. As if I need to explain this to anyone.

You’re the one that brought Gaylord Perry’s name up, not me.

Barry Bonds, most infamous cheater in American sports history.

That clown Will Carroll didn’t have me salivating. I’ll bet he was happy that the name was a nobody. He was just trying to be cute as he’s defened BB at every turn.

November 29th, 2005 | 10:03 pm

BB was already a HoF calibre player, that’s the point.
      ===========

What point? You’ve made no point.