• Back-up MI For 2006

Posted by on November 27th, 2005 · Comments (7)

Right now, if A-Rod, Jeter or Cano pull a Boone and bust up their knee in an off-season pick-up game of something, Felix Escalona or Tony Womack is playing full time in the Yankees infield next year.

Am I the only one who sees this as an issue?

Comments on Back-up MI For 2006

1. November 27th, 2005 | 12:13 pm

No, Steve you are not alone in your fear. The good news is that Arod and Jeter have a brain. Robbie Cano scares me in that he is just a happy boy. I have screamed from the housetops that we should trade Womack and get somebody good on our infield bench. No moves. There must be someone else in the minors who is better than Escalona, no?

2. November 27th, 2005 | 3:02 pm

I doubt there’s anyone else – remember the need to clain Bellhorn because he was an upgrade?

3. Jen
      November 27th, 2005 | 3:49 pm

Guys, it’s not even December yet. I’d rather they work on the bullpen and center field than worry about utility players right now.

4. November 27th, 2005 | 5:06 pm

I know, Jen. I’m sure some of it is just frustration about nothing happening. However, it will be an issue eventually.

November 27th, 2005 | 5:43 pm

Depth has been a problem the last couple of seasons, haven’t it?

Backup middle infielders are a dime a dozen. I agree that the CF & bullpen search are a priority right now.

It’d be nice to trade Womack, but I don’t see anyone who could or would take him off our hands

6. JohnnyC
      November 27th, 2005 | 11:35 pm

I don’t know who’s responsible for this (well, I have a good idea) but someone’s been taking the concept of utility infielder too much for granted in recent seasons. As opposed to the “useful” utility infielders of the Homer Bush, Andy Fox type, we have been inundated with a gaggle of Luis Sojo, Enrique Wilson, Rey Sanchez “veteran” types…guys who are either over the hill, unable to hit a lick, or useless as pinch runners or even to lay down a bunt. Instead of this veteran emphasis (even Russ Johnson somehow falls into this category with the Yankees), let’s try to get guys who might well be AAAA infielders but at least offer speed on the bases, a steady glove, and the ability to put a ball in play. And the excuse that a really good bench costs money is ridiculous…that’s not the reason the Yankees have had Enrique Wilson, Russ Johnson, Rey Sanchez, and Felix Escalona on the bench.

7. November 28th, 2005 | 9:49 am