• The New Mr. 8th Inning Arrives?

Posted by on November 30th, 2005 · Comments (6)

The Hartford Courant thinks so:

The Yankees focused on their bullpen Tuesday, closing in on a three-year, $17 million contract with free-agent right-hander Kyle Farnsworth.

Though Yankees sources were saying it’s not a done deal, talks appeared to be in the final stages.

Two weeks ago, I said that I was OK with the Yankees getting Farnsworth – and last week I suggested that he would be a nice fit to cover Gordon’s old spot.

Therefore, I’m happy with this move – if it comes true.

Now, if the Yankees get another bat, and pick up some good bench players, then I think we’re starting to cook here.

Shoot, figure out a way to shore up Mussina & Pavano and it will be a full blown winter feast.

Comments on The New Mr. 8th Inning Arrives?

1. MJ
      November 30th, 2005 | 2:23 pm

Are we really sure that this bullpen is better? This is the same bullpen as 2005 except we’re swapping Farnsworth in and Gordon out. We still have Sturtze and Wright to blow it for us. How exactly is this bullpen remodeling going to work?

2. November 30th, 2005 | 2:33 pm

Fair point. Perhaps having Chacon – and not a Brown in the rotation – helps the pen somewhat too ‘tho.

November 30th, 2005 | 2:34 pm

Well, it’s a start… Assuming Myers is signed, they still need another lefty

4. JohnnyC
      November 30th, 2005 | 2:52 pm

FWIW, Cashman talks glowingly about Matt Smith, the 25 year old lefty convert to the pen who had a very good season touring AA, AAA, and the AFL. He’s a good probability as the “2nd” lefty out of the pen. Unless, of course, they latch onto a Rincon or Villone.

5. November 30th, 2005 | 4:07 pm

JohnnyC,
      As a point of clarification, Matt did well in AA and AAA but he got SMOKED in the AFL…he’s rebounded with 3 scoreless innings for Team USA. However, in my mind, they are wearing this kid out. Look at how many innings he has pitched (100 so far!) out of the pen this year – they are going to burn him out real quick with that kind of usage.

6. November 30th, 2005 | 4:17 pm

Also, I simply do not trust Mike Myers…and it’s not just because he married an axe murderer.

No, it’s because I agree with Steve – I think that he will be shelled because at some point, he will be kept in to face righties. That’s why I’d much rather Rincon or Eischen (sp?) be the first options here.