• Jorge DePaula’s Winter

Posted by on December 14th, 2005 · Comments (10)

Here’s how Jorge DePaula has started out this winter in Liga de Beisbol Dominicano – 21 games (20 starts) with 116 IP and an ERA of 4.58.

More importantly, his H+BB/IP ratio is 1.29 and he has 90 Ks in those 116 IP.

DePaula will only be 27-years-old next season – which just a year older than Chien-Ming Wang. It will be almost a full two years on Opening Day 2006 since Jorge had his “Tommy John Surgery.”

Just watch, he’s going to be a contributor to the Yankees staff next year – in some way – before the season is over.

Comments on Jorge DePaula’s Winter

1. DownFromNJ
      December 15th, 2005 | 1:34 am

Jorge DePaula’s minor league stats scream out “REPLACEMENT PLAYER” to me. Still, the Yankees could have really used some replacement level starters last season.

2. December 15th, 2005 | 9:21 am

Hey Steve,
      Are these current?
      “Ligas Menores Compilado hasta Septiembre 27 del 2005″
      My spanish is very rusty but does that mean until Sept. 27 or since Sept. 27? I thought it was until…

3. December 15th, 2005 | 9:58 am

No habla at all here. I think it’s gotta be since and not until.

The more I think about Mussina, Wright, Pavano – and to a lesser extent Wang and Chacon – I think DePaula could be making 10 starts for the Yankees this year.

December 15th, 2005 | 10:46 am

Those are DePaula’s AAA stats.

5. Jen
      December 15th, 2005 | 10:48 am

Hasta means until.

That link just lists his stats with Columbus.

This is a listing of the Dominican players that are in the minors. (That last sentence at the top of the page says “Produced exclusively by Sportsticker for the Professional Baseball League of the Domincan Republic.”)

6. Jen
      December 15th, 2005 | 10:49 am

Doh, Raf beat me to it.

December 15th, 2005 | 10:50 am

Fudge… A little too quick on the draw.

I think DePaula could contribute at the ML level. He throws strikes and could be a nice back of the rotation starter. Granted they were fighting for a division title, but I wish he had gotten more work after he was called up.

8. December 15th, 2005 | 11:19 am

What a bummer on the stats! Thanks all!
      I wonder, so, how is he doing in the DR Winter league? Anyone know where to get the stats?

BTW, this error might be good news.
      I was thinking this AM “Gosh, he’ll be dead by July if he had 20 starts over the winter.”

9. DownFromNJ
      December 15th, 2005 | 12:39 pm

Still, DePaula is probably (barring a great winter/Spring Training performance) third on the Yankee depth charts behind Sean Henn and Matt DeSalvo.

I still think that he’s at best a replacement level pitcher.

December 15th, 2005 | 12:42 pm

========

Your guess is as good as mine; team websites are a bit unreliable in the DR.

You would think that MLB would have an interest in compiling stats, running websites and broadcasting winter league games (Fox does it, BTW), but that’d probably be asking for too much. Wouldn’t make any sense to have people familiarize themselves with players that will be playing in this World Baseball Classic thing and all…

Same goes for the fall leagues. I’d rather watch that than all these damn poker specials