• A-Rod & The WBC

Posted by on December 16th, 2005 · Comments (7)

I just noticed this link over at Bronx Banter to an article in the Post where A-Rod says:

“After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic,” A-Rod told The Post from Miami. “When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America, and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either.”

That’s a big 180 from 5 months ago. I wonder if someone outside the family had any influence on the decision too?

Comments on A-Rod & The WBC

1. Jason O.
      December 16th, 2005 | 10:41 am

Alex, you’re the foundation of this ballclub, as you will be through this decade and beyond, I’m asking you to remember that as you make your decision. We need you healthy and rested.”

-GS

2. Geyv
      December 16th, 2005 | 10:44 am

As a Yankees fan I’m not too upset by this. As a baseball fan I’m deeply, deeply disappointed.

No dishonour in not showing up at all because you couldn’t make a decision? In the words of Jim Gosger: “yeah, surrrrre.”

3. DownFromNJ
      December 16th, 2005 | 11:54 am

He probably figured that it was a lose/lose situation no matter where he played.

I’m a little disappointed with the WBC though. In hockey, every big star plays for his country. Everyone. At the Olympics. At the World Cup. At the World Championships. Every year. They risk the injuries, they risk being tired out. They have the shortest off season in professional sports. But they still play, and love to do it.

4. Jen
      December 16th, 2005 | 1:18 pm

The difference with hockey though, is that there is a fairly long-standing tradition with international hockey. It’s a matter of pride for those guys, almost akin to that of international soccer. In baseball, the olympics has really been the only stage for international competition (and we all know how popular that’s been).

5. Don
      December 16th, 2005 | 1:27 pm

The Winter Olympics takes place around the middle of the NHL season, not before the season starts.

That’s a big difference as NHL players are in mid-season form.

I have ZERO interest in this Seligism.

December 16th, 2005 | 1:31 pm

That’s a big difference as NHL players are in mid-season form.
      =======================

With winter ball, and year-round training routines, that’s becoming less and less relevant.

7. DownFromNJ
      December 16th, 2005 | 2:16 pm

Still, NHLers participate en mass every year at the World Championships, which take place in May and June. Every four years or so, they take place in the World Cup, also right after the season ends.

I understand that the circumstances are different. But there just seems to be more pride in playing for your country in hockey than in other sports. I mean, look at the decline of Team USA in basketball.