• Wang For Reed?

Posted by on December 20th, 2005 · Comments (9)

From the Seattle Times:

Even with Jarrod Washburn in the rotation, the Mariners are still in the trade market for another starting pitcher.

And while outfielder Jeremy Reed may be the leading candidate to go in any deal, the Boston Red Sox aren’t the only possible destination.

An industry source maintains that the New York Yankees are another possible trading partner.

“Watch the situation with Johnny Damon,” the source said. “Seattle could wind up trading Reed to the club that doesn’t get Damon to play center.”

Yet a second source said that Seattle, even with Washburn getting $37.5 million over four years, might be willing to take on a pitcher with a sizeable salary.

That could be the Red Sox’s Matt Clement or the Yankees’ Carl Pavano. But more to the Mariners’ liking and payroll situation would be the Red Sox’s Bronson Arroyo, who made $1.85 million in 2005 and is not eligible for free agency for three more seasons, or the Yankees’ Chien-Ming Wang, who was a rookie in 2005.

Imagine if Cashman hangs on to Pavano to deal Wang instead for Reed. Oh, that would get ugly in a hurry.

Comments on Wang For Reed?

1. MJ
      December 20th, 2005 | 3:35 pm

Steve, that’s just the kind of move I’ve come to expect from Brian Cashman. I truly have no idea if he has any idea what he’s doing. Carl Pavano should be cut loose for a meatball parm sandwich, if we could even get that for him.

2. December 20th, 2005 | 4:04 pm

That would make absolutely no sense whatsoever and it would go directly against the two main tenets that Cashman has been preaching all off-season: get younger and cheaper. I really doubt that a Wang for Reed deal would ever take place – Seattle may prefer it…but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Yankees are chomping at the bit to do it.

and MJ, that meatball parm sounds good – I’ll trade you Carl Pavano for it…

3. December 20th, 2005 | 4:20 pm

Great, now, whatever my wife makes for dinner is going to pale because I have meatball parm on the mind. Thanks guys!

December 20th, 2005 | 4:22 pm

Wang for Reed… Cashman should be smacked for even considering it. Sheesh!

5. MJ
      December 20th, 2005 | 4:30 pm

No deal, James. I’ll gladly share that meatball parm with you and Steve but I won’t take Pavano.

By the way, if anyone cares to know where the meatball parm is made to perfection, try Dirienzo’s Deli in Moonachie, NJ. I go there after every Giants game (less than a mile down the road from Giants Stadium). Unbelievable. If there weren’t restrictions today, I’d head out there to pick one up…

6. hopbitters
      December 20th, 2005 | 4:30 pm

Diffuse the situation before it starts :

“Don’t worry about dinner, honey, I’ll take care of it. Kids – set the table.”

(beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep)

“Hello, Tony’s Pizza and Subs…”

7. Jason O.
      December 20th, 2005 | 4:41 pm

Please, please let this not be true.

8. December 20th, 2005 | 4:42 pm

hop – I just tried. What a look I got.

9. jonm
      December 20th, 2005 | 7:17 pm

The Yankees wouldn’t trade Wang for Reed. This is just some idea of a Seattle hack (their Joel Sherman?). Note that there is no reporting here just the idle speculation of a lazy sportswriter.