• Cashman Can Thank L.A. & Lucchino For Damon

Posted by on December 21st, 2005 · Comments (9)

Brian Cashman played poker on this Free Agent pick-up – and won.

The minute that Kenny Lofton signed with the Dodgers, that closed the Damon market to two teams – the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Knowing this, Cashman told Damon’s agent, Scott Boras, we’re going to trade for a CF now, unless Damon wants to sign now, for much less than the seven years that you’re looking for (as reported).

Boras knew the Red Sox offer – 4 years for $40-42 million. So, at this point, he had to tell his client “We’re never going to get 7 years. We’re only going to get four – in New York or Boston. And, if the Yankees trade for a CF, then Boston has us by the short ones. We need to get the most money that we can on a four-year deal.”

And, when the Yankees came in with $52 million, meaning three million a year more than Lucchino was willing to go on his offer (on the table), it became clear that New York was the place to go – - unless Damon wanted to give Boston a $10-12 million “hometown” discount. Hey, he ain’t that much of an idiot.

Did Cashman really have a deal for a CF – and was ready to pull the trigger? It’s possible – and, if not, hey, a bluff is a bluff – and a good one when it works.

I just hope this is not a case of Damon wanting to go somewhere other than New York – but the money in Yankeeland was just that much more than he could get anywhere else.

The best thing for Damon to do is to produce, out of the gate, for the Yankees. It will get the fans on his side and that always makes your life pleasant in this town. And, when life is hassle-free, and you’re making $13 million a year, feeling good about your choice is easier than Tara Reid after being locked in a liquor store overnight.

Comments on Cashman Can Thank L.A. & Lucchino For Damon

1. jonm
      December 21st, 2005 | 10:50 am

Good points, Steve. You’ve been on fire this week.

I think that Damon probably could have gotten 5 yrs/$65 million from the Orioles. He didn’t want to play there though.

2. December 21st, 2005 | 11:33 am

Thanks, and, yes, I should have clarified that the “Damon market” was teams interested in him, and vice-versa. No way was he going to Baltimore, if given the chance – it was LA, Boston, New York, or bust.

3. DFLNJ
      December 21st, 2005 | 11:36 am

I was checking on Damon’s stats from last year, and his OBP of .366 jumped out at me. Isn’t that a little low for a guy who said in an AP article today that he’s “the best leadoff hitter in baseball”?

Looking at the stats I’d have to say the best leadoff hitter in baseball goes by the name of Derek.

4. December 21st, 2005 | 11:43 am

They’re (Jeter and Damon) are 1 A & B in my book. Damon had 26 RCAA last year and Jeter had 28 RCAA.

From 2003 through 2005, it’s Jeter 66 and Damon 53.

So, Damon, on average, is about 4 RCAA below Jeter, a year, the last three years. It’s a toss up, really.

5. DFLNJ
      December 21st, 2005 | 11:54 am

SL, that makes me feel better, then. It can’t hurt to have 1A and 1B both at the top of your lineup.

Truly I despise Johnny Damon, but the potential of this lineup has me pumped.

6. December 21st, 2005 | 12:23 pm

I’m not that upset about Damon the person. Maybe because I’m getting old? Or, maybe because this (being upset) was the way I felt when Boggs crossed-over. And, that worked out OK.

Bottom line, if they play well, and stay out of trouble in NY, who cares about them coming from Boston? Think anyone in NY was upset about Ruth coming over because he was an idiot and a former Sox?

December 21st, 2005 | 4:31 pm

==========

With players moving around as much as they do, it really isn’t that big a deal

8. #15
      December 21st, 2005 | 5:44 pm

Steve,
      Great work. Derek is at the top of the lead-off heap (not much the guy can’t do at a very high level), but he’s deadly in the # 2 hole. His ability to hit behind the runner is unmatched from the right side. He’ll see more fastballs, and JD will create some holes in the infield when he steals (or second base has to cheat to cover). JD’s 190 hits, followed by DJ’s 200 hits, followed by Sheff’s 170 hits, followed by A-Rod’s 195, followed by HM’s 190…if Giambi can hit .280 (+lots of BB), Jorge .265, Bernie .255, and Robbie .275+, we are looking at 1000 runs this season. That will win the AL East in a walk.

9. December 21st, 2005 | 7:06 pm

Thanks – they may even score enough to make Pavano look good! ;-)