• Francona On Damon Tonight

Posted by on December 21st, 2005 · Comments (7)

I heard Terry Francona on WFAN (1050 AM) in NYC tonight, around six-oh-five (pm EST), during my ride home.

He said that Damon “is a great player and an even better person.” He said that Damon is very “conscientious” and told a story about how Damon would call him (Terry) on his cell phone the morning after he was banged up in a game to let him know that he (Terry) should hold him (Damon) in the line-up because he would be ready to play that night.

First off, for Francona to say this type of stuff tonight show his class. Secondly, this is a side of Damon that Yankees fans never had a chance to see up close.

I think we’re going to like this guy.

Comments on Francona On Damon Tonight

1. jonm
      December 21st, 2005 | 7:27 pm

I’ve always liked Damon (and Francona, too, for that matter). Now, Schilling, there’s a despicable human being.

2. December 21st, 2005 | 9:09 pm

Related, it’s almost 24 hours since Damon’s news broke, and no official statement from ol’ Red Light Schilling. Now, that’s shocking!

3. Jen
      December 21st, 2005 | 9:13 pm

While I sometimes cringe at the shit that has come out of Johnny’s mouth, I always respected the guy, especially after game 1 of the ’04 ALCS. When Mo entered the bullpen early in the game after getting back from the funeral for his 2 family members that died at his home in Panama, Damon gave him a little nod. It was a small gesture, but that image has stuck with me. That “idiot” stuff aside, he always seemed like a good teammate.

4. JohnnyC
      December 21st, 2005 | 9:14 pm

And yet Francona would and has said similar things about Schilling. So, take it for what’s worth. My suspicion, by the way, is that The Schill is through. And if Beckett’s MRI is as bad as Gammons keeps blubbering they are, the Sox are in deep do-do as far as pitching is concerned. Will we be seeing Rudy Seanez closing games in July? But, not to worry, there’s gotta be another Selig client team out there that can send Boston some reinforcements for the usual bag of shells, er, overweight, overhyped prospects.

December 21st, 2005 | 10:12 pm

===========

On the rotation side, you have Schilling, Beckett, Clement, Wells, Wakefield, Arroyo, & Papelbon.

Closer you have Foulke, Timlin, Hansen and Wakefield.

Keep in mind someone can be picked from the nontendered pool…

6. December 21st, 2005 | 10:57 pm

Have you seen that pool? It’s ugly.

December 21st, 2005 | 11:25 pm

Have you seen that pool? It’s ugly.
      =========

You know, if I were running the Sox, I’d take another flyer on Wade Miller. Same for Kevin Brown and Jeff Weaver; I’d give them a look