• Happy New Year!

Posted by on December 30th, 2005 · Comments (9)

First of all, I would like to wish all the readers of WasWatching.com a very happy and healthy new year. And, may all your resolutions for 2006 come true!

Personally, I have a ton of stuff that I need to get better at:

1. I need to exercise more routinely so that I have a chance to be around when my kids reach the age that I was when we had them.

2. I need to spend less and/or make more money.

3. I need to start working on some of the “house” projects that I’ve been putting off for the last six years.

4. I need to start updating the gallery at NetShrine.com (which is long overdue) and start working on my second book.

And, from a Yankees-fan-perspective……..

I need to not allow my “following of the team” to dictate my life schedule (which is something that happens now).

I need to stop trying to finagle a way to be home to watch opening day.

I need to cease “stopping life as I know” for every series with Boston and for post-season games. It’s amazing to me that I allow the outside world to go away completely during the “big games” and have everything else revolve around the them. I have not had a productive October since 1994.

As you can see, I have a lot to do this year! How about you? Any Yankees resolutions that you want to share?

Comments on Happy New Year!

1. December 30th, 2005 | 12:50 pm

Steve wrote:
      And, from a Yankees-fan-perspective……..

I need to stop trying to finagle a way to be home to watch opening day.

I respond:
      I see nothing wrong with this second part of your resolutions. There’s nothing here you need to change! If you have to give up on some of your resolutions, I suggest the second section quoted above! Happy and healthy NY to you as well!!

2. MikeC
      December 30th, 2005 | 1:04 pm

As a newcomer to this Blog, let me just say thanks for providing a place to get my daily fix … and hope your resolutions allow you to keep up the good work in ’06!

3. nemecizer
      December 30th, 2005 | 1:24 pm

My New Year’s Resolutions are a bit different than yours, Steve.

I need to drink more beer at the Stadium. Those $8.00 Buds are not making enough money for Big Stein. I have a stomach and liver, why not use it!

I need to spend more than 2 hours per day reading about baseball during the off-season. How the heck am I going to memorize the stats of every Yankees player ever if I don’t dedicate time to it!?!?

I need to start taking more days off from work to be in the Bronx when the Sox are in town.

Yeah.

BTW, great blog. I read it religiously these days and am going to order your book.

Cheers,

Joe from NYC

4. DaveD
      December 30th, 2005 | 1:30 pm

“I need to stop staying up late to watch the end of just about every game – and then blogging about it – and start to get more than 5 hours a night sleep.”

I have to admit to doing this for the last 2 months of the season. I had been living in Boston for a couple years and hadn’t been able to watch more than 1 Yanks game a week usually so when I moved to the city it was like a kid in a candy store. I went to 5 games down the stretch (won every one) and watched every inning of every game game I could. I don’t plan to change anything next season :)

5. nemecizer
      December 30th, 2005 | 1:33 pm

BTW, for those interested here are some prognostications from my brother Mike, who worked in baseball for a number of years. Sounds about right to me.

Joe -

Some of those guys on WasWatching are total lunatics. Criticizing Joe Torre for ONLY winning 4 WS! That is insanity. I understand that maybe Joe isn’t the best manager in the game and that he has the highest payroll but c’mon. Cut the guy some slack. They should have won in 2001 (if Mo makes a routine throw to 2nd base) They should have won in 2003 (if Aaron Boone moves the guy over in the whatever inning) and they very easily could have beaten the Red Sox 2 years ago (in fact I think that is their strongest argument against him, not running and all that.) But to kill the guy for not winning the WS every year. Remeber some of the total dogs this Yanks team has had over the past couple of year: the formentioned Aaron Boone, Jeff Weaver and so on…

I think the Yanks look good for next year. Obviously the key is pitching. Here is what I expect from everyone:

Hitters
      1. Damon – Same year as last year offensively and a big upgrade defensively from Bernie.
      2. Jeter – Jeter is Jeter, more homers and RBI everything else the same
      3. A-Rod – Same as last year all around – Big Year
      4. Giambi – Better year than last year – .275 30HR 100RBI and am OK though sometimes maddening first base
      5. Sheff – A small step down from last year but still one of the best right handed bats in the league
      6. Matsui – This guy is a machine: .300 20HR 100+RBI
      7. Posada – Step back from last year. .255 20+HR 75RBI and a decent year behind the plate
      8. Bernie/Andy Phillips/Crosby – And whomever else they throw at DH – around .265 20+HR and near 100RBI for all of them combind. Not great but certainly not terrible.
      9. Cano – A bit better year defensively and a step back offensively. .275 20HR 70RBI. Not bad for a sophomore season and a number 9 hitter.

Rotation:
      1. Johnson – Similar year as last 200+ IP 15-18 wins, high 3 ERA – but a better start.
      2. Mussina – Step back from last year – will be on the DL again at some point – 150+ IP, 13-15 wins and an ERA above 4.
      3. Pavano – Anything from this guy will be an improvement. I think he will get 20-25 starts and that is a victory for him
      4. Shawn Chacon – He had 12 starts for the Yanks and won 7 with and ERA below 3, I expect 20-25 starts and an ERA in the high 3′s. On the Yanks that could be anywhere from 13-20 wins (a big range I know) I have a good feeling about Shawn. Hopefully they use him regularly.
      5. Wang/Wright/Small – Not sure how this is going to go. Depends upon the health or Wright and Wang. Both coming off injuries. Obviously Small won’t be as good but he should get some starts and could be a big help. Wright I think will be healthy for part of the year and provide some supprt and Wang will be around the same… all depends upon who is healthy and who is not. This is obviously the biggest question in the rotation. Of course, any of these three could replace any of the 4 above depending on health. My guess is that Chacon is the most reliable and healthiest of the Yankee Starters.

Bullpen – should be better overall because of the starting pitching depth.

1. Mo is Mo – nuff said
      2. Sturtze – similar year to last year only a bit more consistent because of a little less work
      3. Farnsworth – Love guys that throw in the high 90′s but he worries me in a big spot.
      4. Myers – Situational lefty that will face a batter here and there will be good.
      5. Villone – Should have a pretty good year… a solid but not spectacular lefty
      6. Dotel – The biggest wildcard of the bunch. Could come back mid-summer and totally dominate (as he has done in the past) and become the go to guy in this pen creating a similar situation to 96 when the Yanks had Mo and Wettland (though not quite that great)… could be a total bust. I think it will be the former more than the latter.

Potential Surprises:
      1. Sean Henn – Depending in development or injury this guy could be the Wang/Cano of 2006. He could also be traded to bring in someone at the trade deadline.

All in all, I think it will be a very good year for the Yanks. Winning around 100 games and making the playoffs. After that, anything can happen.

Talk to you soon.

Mikie

6. Jen
      December 30th, 2005 | 2:12 pm

- I need to get back to my woefully neglected blog.
      - I need do that interview that I promised to a certain someone.
      - I need to unpack and clean my apartment.
      - I need to take better care of myself.
      - I need to stop cursing so goddam much when I’m not at the Stadium.
      - I need to find new friends that aren’t married, don’t have kids, or aren’t in a serious relationship.

7. #15
      December 30th, 2005 | 5:28 pm

Steve,
      I little perspective here. I moved to Houston 23 years ago and for the better part of the first 16 of those years, I was reduced to reading the box score and four sentence summaries in the Houston papers. Oh, I managed an occassional trip to Arlington to see the Yanks play, plus the odd ESPN game here and there (I treated everyone as a holiday). I was literally starving for all things NYY. Around 7 years ago I picked up on the radio broadcasts over the internet. Night after night, glued to the computer, listening while simultaneously watching the ESPN/MLB gamecast (how pathetic). Around three years ago digital cable arrived in the hood and with it the baseball package. Doves flying, angels singing, harps playing… heaven on earth. Except for the late night blogging, we’ve followed a parallel lifestyle around the Bombers schedule. Based on my experiences, I dare you and all of youse other guys (a little leftover NY lingo) to try and avoid the Yankees for a week during the season. No TV, no internet check-ins, no newpapers, no YES, and no SportCenter. I can’t do it, and you can’t do it. With all of us, it’s beyond choice. We have no option. There is a reason the logo is positoned on the left side of the home jersey…it’s over the heart. My kids are now hooked and my new lab retriever is named Jeter.

Love the site. Great work, and please, please don’t ever take your access and attachment to the Yankees for granted. You can’t appreciate how much your affiliation with the Yankees means until you been deprived of it for a while. Park a stationary bike in front of the TV and have at it.

Happy New Year
      #15

8. rbs10025
      December 30th, 2005 | 6:44 pm

“I have not had a productive October since 1994.”

Hey! I resemble that comment.

“Around three years ago digital cable arrived in the hood and with it the baseball package.”

Or in my case, the bar five blocks from home got the package, and next thing you know I’m stopping there 3-4 nights a week to catch the end of the Yanks game and most of the Astros game. After a couple years of doing this, I think I now need to lose 15 pounds.

“I dare you and all of youse other guys (a little leftover NY lingo) to try and avoid the Yankees for a week during the season. No TV, no internet check-ins, no newpapers, no YES, and no SportCenter. I can’t do it, and you can’t do it.”

I have found that week-long backpacking trips are the only solution to this. (They’re also excellent for curing that “I’m wasting too much time websurfing plaint.”)

What with being dog tired from hiking and going to bed no more than hour after sundown, you forget about baseball pretty quickly. This past August, I think I forgot to wonder how the Yankees were doing by the 2nd or 3rd night out.

I did try taking a small transistor radio with me on last year’s backpacking adventure in Montana, but except for maybe briefly catching what sounded like what might be a Giants broadcast bouncing off the Chapman layer, I couldn’t get a signal and I gave up after a couple days.

9. December 31st, 2005 | 12:44 pm

I have a killer cold today – which makes typing tough, as I keep sneezing. But, I wanted to say thanks to all for everything posted in this thread. It’s all great and appreciated!