• Ben Davis

Posted by on January 8th, 2006 · Comments (6)

I just noticed now that the Yankees signed Ben Davis to a minor league deal and invited him to Spring Training.

I know that the Yankees are very thin at catcher in the minors. And, I know that Davis was once a hyped, hot-shot, prospect. But, this is a waste of money.

This is a guy who blew three shots at big league jobs because of his two-cent head. He’s a terrible person to have on the roster because of his bad attitude compounded by a lack of I.Q.

Oh, and, he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat and is a bad catcher. Letting this guy wear Yankees pinstripes, even in Spring Training, is just flat out wrong.

Comments on Ben Davis

January 8th, 2006 | 12:11 pm

eh, if he can play, give him a shot

2. January 8th, 2006 | 1:17 pm

that’s the point, he can’t play

January 8th, 2006 | 5:37 pm

Couldn’t hurt to check, especially after trotting out people like Kelly Stinett, John Flaherty and Chris Widger

4. jonm
      January 8th, 2006 | 6:22 pm

Ben Davis is certainly not the answer to anything. There was speculation in Newsday today that the Yankees should sign Molina and give Posada at-bats at DH. If Molina is cheap, that’s not a bad idea. I’m concerned, however, about what the Yankees’ plan for a Posada replacement is. I don’t regret losing Navarro last year, though; I’m not high on him. I don’t think that he’ll ever hit enough to be a starting catcher.

5. January 8th, 2006 | 8:03 pm

Raf – I would take Albert Castillo over Davis – that’s how bad he is.

Jonm – Was that Heyman? He said the same thing on the last Yankees Hot Stove on YES – that the Yankees should get Molina and avoid that $12 clause for Posada.

Life after Jorge will be interesting. The FA class is bleak: http://www.mlb4u.com/0607FA.html

Sounds like a trade is in order.

6. jonm
      January 8th, 2006 | 8:26 pm

It was Ken Davidoff, not Heyman (who I can’t stand, by the way). It was just advice, not a rumor of any sort.

If a trade in in order, I hope that the Yankees pick up an offensive catcher. They have done well at the catching position since Thurman, for the most part — Slaught and especially Mike Stanley were great cheap stopgaps.