• We Were On A Break

Posted by on January 19th, 2006 · Comments (10)

Theo Epstein will be returning to the Boston Red Sox.

I hope this reversal/return gets as much public poking, and is subject to joke after joke, as when the Yankees kept bringing back Billy Martin (in the days of the Big Stein Circus).

Hey, I guess it’s true – once you go Lucchino, you can never leave-o.

Think about this for a minute. When someone who you work with quits, and then comes back to your firm weeks later, saying that they’re happy to be back, etc., what’s the general perception of them among the working staff? In one way or another, they’re usually painted as being some sort of a baby, no?

It’s like the person who moves out of their parents house and then moves back in years later. Fair or not, that person gets a label in the public eye. And, it’s usually not a nice one.

Theo may be a bright guy and all that, but, I’m sorry here – he’s gotta take some heat for pulling this three-sixty route. Perhaps his new handle should be: Baby Boomerang?

Comments on We Were On A Break

1. January 20th, 2006 | 7:44 am

I dunno, Steve … I just don’t give enough of a rat’s you-know-what about Epstein to care whether he changed his mind or not. I mean, he can’t possibly be the boy genius that he’s credited to be, and he didn’t (and won’t) singlehandedly engineer a Red Sox championship. Baseball is much, much more complicated than that, as everyone really knows. Epstein’s return is roughly of equal interest to the Sox signing John Flaherty – in other words, wake me when the games start. The Epstein-worship is pure Red Sox hype, and I’m not buying into it.

January 20th, 2006 | 9:05 am

Big difference; Martin was fired, Epstein wasn’t

3. January 20th, 2006 | 9:35 am

Good comment I saw on another site: Theo now has an out clause when the Sox tank this season – “I wasn’t there when all the moves wer made last winter.”

4. rbj
      January 20th, 2006 | 1:37 pm

It’s a 180, not 360.
      The dynamics in the front office have got to be interesting. Does Theo get to make trades, thereby undercutting the two-headed GM monster, can they block moves he wants to make? Methinks there are now too many chefs in the BoSox kitchen.

5. January 20th, 2006 | 3:28 pm

I thought when you returned to the place where you started in was a 360?

180 would be like two right angles – and heading away from where you started, no?

6. JohnnyC
      January 20th, 2006 | 3:45 pm

360 is right, Steve. We have to stop buying into the Red Sox mythos whole hog…Theo is a part of a large organization and even the much-maligned Larry Lucchino (justifiably maligned)has had a hand in their better decisions as well as their worst decisions. After all, were not Renteria and Clement done on his watch? And David Ortiz was supposedly Bill Lajoie’s call (who had seen him play against his Tigers 19 times a year). The return of Epstein means, probably, very little. Except in the all-important PR campaign that John Henry is trying very hard to keep on track in The Olde Towne. When he ends up selling the team, oh, in say 2 years, they’ll only tar and feather part of his torso.

7. January 20th, 2006 | 4:24 pm

I too believe that this is mostly PR driven. They’re going to need all the good PR they can get this year.

January 20th, 2006 | 5:12 pm

==============

Look at this way; Theo made a u-turn and went back to the Sox.

9. rbj
      January 21st, 2006 | 10:25 am

Steve, my mistake, I thought you were talking about Theo’s leaving to going back (which is a 180) not his staying to leaving to going back. A flip flop is a one eighty.

I still think this is going to portend power struggles in the Red Sox front office. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, perhaps the Blue Jays get to move up to second place.

10. January 21st, 2006 | 11:30 am

I actually thought 180 at first too – and then checked myself!

Jays in 2nd – it’s very possible.