• Mad Hatting

Posted by on January 20th, 2006 · Comments (12)

Am I the only person in the world who sometimes finds it strangely comforting to wear a baseball cap?

There’s just something about the snugness of the cap-part itself that provides a feeling of protection and warmth that’s associated with physical contact. And, the bill of the cap, when crowned properly, serves a mechanism that sharpens your desired focus by acting as quasi-blinders to any unwanted outside noise and/or distraction.

Then again, I’ve been under a tremendous amount of stress the last two weeks – so, maybe I’m just losing my mind?

Comments on Mad Hatting

1. Jason O.
      January 20th, 2006 | 10:54 am

No question, SL, you’re right on the mark.

I even want to get Jay-Z’s white on white NYY hat, but I’m too much of a white boy.

2. DownFromNJ
      January 20th, 2006 | 11:09 am

I’m more of a free-hair kind of guy. But I’m weird… I wear sandels year round.

If your stressed, there are only two remedies. Baseball is one. But this time of year, I like to use the good old local firing range. Nothing works better.

3. January 20th, 2006 | 11:26 am

LOL. Yesterday I told someone in the office that, if I had a hand gun, I would be the lead story on the 6 o’clock news.

4. knuckles
      January 20th, 2006 | 11:43 am

I love baseball caps, especially Yankee ones, though more and more lately I’m wearing a woolie ski cap instead. I like the fitted Yankee caps where the NY logo is smaller and down on one side near the brim, otherwise the cap is all blue, but I have yet to see one in stores, and I am notoriously picky about trying on a cap before I buy one. Right now my TY (Tampa Yanks) cap is my most often worn.

5. DFLNJ
      January 20th, 2006 | 11:52 am

You mean I’m not the only one out there? My wife thinks I’m insane, but it just doesn’t feel right to leave the house without my hat on.

I even cut out a Yankees NY emblem and taped it to my graduation cap. My father was immensely proud, but my mom didn’t quite see the humor.

6. January 20th, 2006 | 12:11 pm

Great story!

7. Rich
      January 20th, 2006 | 12:35 pm

I always wear a hat, but I only really have one that I can wear. I found it when I was I think a freshmen in high school (I’m a senior in college now). I have worn it everyday since. So the hat is at least 8 years old. I haven’t found any other hats that I can wear. I look for a new hat every time I go shopping, but none of them fit right. I can’t own a Yankees hat and it drives me mad. Eventually my hat is just going to fall apart. It’s really getting close already.

Rich

8. Jen
      January 20th, 2006 | 12:52 pm

I’ve always wanted a fitted cap, but they don’t work well with pony tails.

9. rafael
      January 20th, 2006 | 1:55 pm

I almost always wear my cap; my head feels naked without it. On those days that I don’t wear my cap, my first thought upon walking outside is “wow, it’s so bright out here…” The only bad thing is that I’ve lost my hat twice recently, although thankfully my wife took enough pity on me to buy me another one (or two, technically)

PS – to Jen, although I’m sure you’ve already thought of this, I knew a girl who would put her hair into a pony tail, then put the hair on top of her head, and then put a cap on, starting in the back. Just a suggestion; it seemed to work well for her.

10. Jen
      January 20th, 2006 | 5:09 pm

rafael, if I had normal hair that could be an option. Let’s just say that when I wear my hair down, I can do an impersonation of Slash from Guns N Roses.

11. rafael
      January 20th, 2006 | 9:18 pm

LOL, jen, i guess that would present a problem then. I suppose no fitted hats for you then :(

January 20th, 2006 | 11:33 pm

She can wear fitted caps, just buy them a couple of sizes too large, like all the hip kids I see doing… lol