• Will They Have A High Sign?

Posted by on January 24th, 2006 · Comments (6)

I found this quote from Johnny Damon (about his days in Beantown) to be interesting:

“I was such an integral part of that team, too. When I got there it was 25 guys and 25 cabs. Everybody was doing their own thing.

“I helped change the culture there. I helped them win a world championship. I made a difference on the field and in the clubhouse.”

There’s no way now to forecast the impact of Damon being out of the Sox clubhouse and moving to the Yankees clubhouse. In fact, do the Yankees even need help in the clubhouse?

I’ve heard whispers about there being a “Jeter’s guys” and “A-Rod’s followers” division in the Bronx. But, who knows, outside of those close to the team, if it’s true?

Perhaps Damon can serve as some comic relief – ala’ Mickey Rivers and/or Tim Raines – and act as a harmony unifier for the Yanks? And, perhaps his absence in Boston will be felt outside of the playing field?

We won’t know the answers to this until some time this summer. But, it’s worth keeping a pulse on once the season starts.

Comments on Will They Have A High Sign?

1. DownFromNJ
      January 24th, 2006 | 1:50 pm

Eliminating Kevin Brown can’t hurt either.

But seriously, Damon cannot just go spouting off to the media like he did in Boston. He’s an attention whore and the Yankees do not celebrate the individual.

2. January 24th, 2006 | 2:56 pm

David Cone had red light fever and never killed the team.

January 24th, 2006 | 3:57 pm

David Cone had red light fever and never killed the team.
      ==========

As did Reginald Martinez Jackson

4. JohnnyC
      January 24th, 2006 | 3:58 pm

Torre, for all his other faults, runs a pretty tight, controversy-free clubhouse. Don’t see Damon’s personality as an issue. It’ll be refreshing for the beat reporters. As for us fans, who cares.

5. hopbitters
      January 24th, 2006 | 7:29 pm

The bullpen doesn’t have time for any extracurriculars now – they’re too busy finishing crossword puzzles for Mussina :

6. baileywalk
      January 24th, 2006 | 7:58 pm

Yeah, I’m sure Mussina gets a lot of help from Matsui and Sheffield.

The people Damon affects the most are probably Giambi and Pavano. Both of those guys seemed to always miss the friendship they shared with their old teammates. Maybe Damon can fill that void for them.