• I’ll Believe It When I See It

Posted by on January 31st, 2006 · Comments (10)

From the Daily News:

Yankees president Randy Levine pitched the team’s new stadium plans to a different set of pinstripes yesterday, but the crowd was clearly on his team.

Pledging that seats would remain affordable and that the project would create jobs for Bronx residents, Levine basked in a lovefest from the borough’s business community at the New Bronx Chamber of Commerce lunch as he outlined what he called “the largest private investment in the history of the Bronx.”

“This stadium is going to be affordable,” said Levine, “affordable for everyone.”

I’m a season ticket holder – since 2001. The seats are in the Loge by 1B. Not the best seats in the house – but not the worst either. They’re “good seats.”

My seats, in 2001, were $37 each. This season, the seats are $55 each. At this rate, the seats will be (at least) $65 per seat in the new digs.

So, if you a buddy want to sit in my “good seats” for a game, it’s going to cost close to $150 for the game. That’s a lot of money for 9 innings of baseball.

How many people can afford that?

Comments on I’ll Believe It When I See It

January 31st, 2006 | 11:59 am

How many people can afford that?
      ==========================================

Given Yankee attendance as of late, I’d say plenty :)

But I’d like to point people in the audience to the book “Field of Schemes”

2. January 31st, 2006 | 12:14 pm

Yes, we know that the place is packed – but, who’s buying the tickets? Regular folks or corporations?

3. DownFromNJ
      January 31st, 2006 | 12:16 pm

It doesn’t matter. Nothing determines the price of tickets except for the elastic price of tickets. Payroll, new stadiums, etc have no effect.

4. January 31st, 2006 | 1:25 pm

I know, it’s S&D. But, would not new digs increase the demand?

January 31st, 2006 | 1:54 pm

I know, it’s S&D. But, would not new digs increase the demand?
      ====================
      I suppose so, but the novelty of a new stadium wears off after a while. I’d like to see attendance figures before, during and after the renovation. Then again, up until a few years ago, the Yanks were a tough draw; I’m suprised that the 1988 attendance record stood for so long, and that it took the organization that long to get 2m to attend YS.

Isn’t the new stadium going to be smaller than the current one?

6. DFLNJ
      January 31st, 2006 | 2:09 pm

Given Yankee attendance as of late, I’d say plenty :)

——————————————–
      I’d say it’s more that people can’t afford the tickets, but it’s Yankee Stadium, and we go anyway. I bought my Dad tickets for the whole family (5 tickets) to a game for a combined Father’s Day/ birthday/ Christmas gift. It was way more money than I could afford, and we sat in the cheapest non-bleacher seats we could get.

Could I really afford it? No. But then again I have a picture of me and my father standing in front of Babe Ruth’s plaque in Yankee Stadium, something I’ll cherish forever. Just don’t plan on us being back in the next decade.

I guess the Yankees being a corporation don’t really care about that sort of thing, and maybe they shouldn’t, but it still seems kinda sad to me.

January 31st, 2006 | 4:47 pm

They’re in it to make money… If they could bring fans and their memories along for the ride, it’s a bonus.

Case in point, the Brooklyn Dodgers. Now, it may very well have been the case that they were the victims of hyperbole over the years, but the impression I get is that they weren’t having any problems making money. They could have made more of it out in LA. If I were in O’Malley’s shoes, I probably would’ve done the same thing. Maybe differently, but I would’ve done it.

Baseball has been selling itself out. Sometimes it seems for the worst, sometimes for the better.

If it’ll make $$, baseball will try it. It stinks but that’s the way it is.

As for my “Yankees story,” it used to be that I attended a bunch of games from 1990-1995. Watched the Yanks develop into the powerhouse that they’ve become. Used to look forward to the Yankees Fan Festival they had back then. As they started winning more and more, tickets started becoming hard to come by. I used to watch guys like Mike Witt, Dave LaPoint, Andy Hawkins. I used to be able to get seats behind home plate 5 minutes before the game started. It isn’t like that anymore. It’s a shame, but what are you going to do?

8. January 31st, 2006 | 6:07 pm

Part of me actually would be willing to take a few years of less than super teams in order to have a chance to get a good seat at a decent price.

9. baileywalk
      January 31st, 2006 | 7:39 pm

Wow, Steve, that’s a pretty shocking comment. I don’t care how expensive the tickets get — I would always rather the Yankees win. I have a hookup inside the FO and can get good seats whenever I want them (I pay face value). Yeah, it’s expensive as hell — you’re talking two hundred bucks for a few people to go to a game (and then you add parking and some food and it’s like a quarter of a vacation). But I have a ball at the stadium and since I only go about five times a year (opening day, a few choice games, and a playoff/World Series game) it doesn’t wreck my budget. As for who can afford this, I’d say most people can. The crowd at Yankee Stadium is quite diverse. There are plenty of blue-collar, working people there, as well as suits and ties. I really don’t think it’s come to the point where corporations — and not true-blue fans — are packing the seats.

(One side note: I occasionally have to go to Philly and I’ve sat right behind home plate there a few times and the experience was pretty incredible (you’ve never “experienced” a pitcher until it looks like he’s throwing the ball right to you), and I have to admit I would absolutely love to have those same seats at Yankee Stadium… though I know I’ll never get them… unless I want to pay, oh, five hundred bucks for a ticket.)

10. Jen
      February 1st, 2006 | 12:35 am

I guess I just expect to pay more for things in the Greater New York Metropolitan area than in other parts of the country. When discussing the Yankees payroll I’ve often used the argument that things just cost more in the New York. People make more money here, rent is higher, etc. Why wouldn’t ticket prices be higher as well? (I’m not saying the price hike is justified, I’m just saying that I’m not surprised by it.)

Steve, I’ve noticed that in some of the newer parks, the same seats that you have are considered “club seats”, where they deliver food to your seat and you have access to air conditioned lounges and whatnot that they rest of the schmucks in the stadium don’t. You may be right that your tickets will be $65 but there’s a good chance that you get extra goodies too.

That being said, I hope my cheap seats stay cheap. If they’re going to hike prices of the “good” seats, at least give us degenerates an affordable alternative.