• Who’s On First?

Posted by on February 21st, 2006 · Comments (6)

Bernie?

From the Record -

Bernie Williams said he’s committed to playing for Puerto Rico, and expects manager Jose Oquendo will use him at the corner outfield spots with the Mets’ Carlos Beltran in center.

Manager Joe Torre wants Williams to work at the corner positions, and Williams said he “wouldn’t be surprised” if Torre asked him to work at first base this spring.

Why do I have a feeling that this will never get past infield practice?

Comments on Who’s On First?

1. David
      February 21st, 2006 | 2:58 pm

I think Bernie’s decision to play in the WBC shows an attitude problem. If he looked at himself as a marginal player struggling to find a way to help the team, then he’d be in training camp full-time, practicing morning, non and night in left field, right field and first base. This lack of adjustment is a common problem for someone who used to be a super-star.

2. February 21st, 2006 | 3:04 pm

Not sure if Bernie has a ‘tude. I think it’s more just him being led by whatever forces back home that are pressuring him to be on the WBC team.

Now, just watch, he’ll blow out an ACL or something in the games and end his career. Imagine the tears then.

3. Rich
      February 21st, 2006 | 4:12 pm

It might be good for Bernie to play in the WBC. Maybe he can get some form back or get a dose of youth agent from some of his homelanders. Plus, if he does end up with a career ending injury, don’t we all win? I’m not saying I want Bernie to get hurt, but I’m pretty sure his roster spot can be used in a more efficient manner. What’s the worst that happens, he’s fatigued to start the season and hits .225 instead of .240?

4. February 21st, 2006 | 4:28 pm

And, on the flip side, some kid in Tampa might get some ABs in camp, and open some eyes, as a result of Bernie’s trip to the WBC.

February 21st, 2006 | 4:43 pm

Some of you guys are reading too much into this.

I don’t believe Bernie playing in the WBC shows an attitute problem any more that Damon or Jeter playing there shows an attitude problem.

He has been in the league 15 years, I think he knows what he needs to do to prepare himself for the season.

Playing in GAME SITUATIONS is a good thing, guys.

I don’t think he’ll get his form back, but it’ll be good to get some work in. It couldn’t hurt. Puerto Rico is stacked with OF’ers, anyway, so I realistically don’t see Williams getting much playing time.

Same at the ML level. Bubba’s the 4th OF, and I’d start Posada @ 1b before I’d start Williams there.

6. hopbitters
      February 21st, 2006 | 5:53 pm

I’m not worried about Bernie playing. If I had any talent whatsoever, I’d be proud to represent my country (if only I could decide what country that is). In Bernie’s case, he’s not going to get a whole lot more opportunities. I don’t consider that an attitude problem. And it’s not like he’s going to get any more injured out there than he would in ST or he usually comes hot out of ST anyway.

====================

====================

Raf, if you were the manager, none of use would be concerned about the Bernie situation, but with Torre at the helm, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bernie closing games in September. After all, he’s a proven veteran.