• Larry Dobrow’s Wacky Letter To A-Rod

Posted by on February 23rd, 2006 · Comments (9)

It can be found in this link.

Strange.

Comments on Larry Dobrow’s Wacky Letter To A-Rod

1. Jen
      February 23rd, 2006 | 2:08 pm

I noticed the exact same thing about his division-clinching post-game interviews. But it didn’t bother nearly as much as it did Mr. Dobrow.

2. bfriley76
      February 23rd, 2006 | 2:13 pm

Don’t know if I would go to the extreme’s that Mr. Dombrow is suggesting, but I have to agree with the his sentiment. I want to like A-Rod (and I do more than he does) but I want him to stop being so PC and to stop caring about what everyone thinks of him. Unfortunately, I doubt this is ever going to happen. He’s way too concerned with being well liked.

It seems like, as long as he’s a Yankee, he may always end up being the Maris to Jeter’s Mikey Mantle.

3. MJ
      February 23rd, 2006 | 2:25 pm

That was quite possibly the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. Why on earth would we want ARod to be an assh*le? I couldn’t care less that ARod is as polished and stiff as he is. All I want from him is to be comfortable in his own skin and to keep on hitting homers and driving in runs. After that, I’m happy to listen to prepared speeches and all of that other “phony” stuff. If Dobrow is to be believed that Yankee fans truly don’t like this guy…well, then they’re not Yankee fans. Be thankful that we have ARod in NY during the prime years of his career and be thankful that he gives us his all every single game. After that, any failures and deficiencies he might have in his personality are hardly worth mentioning.

For the record, if the Yanks win the Series this year, I’ll be happiest for ARod. I want him to win so he can shut the world up.

4. rbj
      February 23rd, 2006 | 2:31 pm

Huh? so now we want our star athletes to be Terrell Owenses, Dennis Rodmans, David Wellses and convicted rapists?

God forbid an athlete would actually want to be looked up to in a positive way. /sarcasm.

5. February 23rd, 2006 | 2:46 pm

That was idiotic. I’d like to see Dobrow give ten interviews in an hour and respond to the same inane questions over and over again without repeating himself. This is a reason not to like the best baseball player of his generation?

A-Rod may not be the flashiest personality in the sport, and he may not be the “natural” charmer that Derek Jeter gets credit for being, but I just don’t give a damn because the guy is the best, most consistently productive all-around ballplayer one could hope for.

6. February 23rd, 2006 | 5:07 pm

I loved the piece. I want to see all the Yankees start to kick ass and take names. I feel like, at one time, they had this presence where teams were behind as soon as they walked in the Stadium. Now you have formerly intimidating guys like Unit getting yakked around the park by any scrub in a D-Rays jersey.

No one is scared of the Yankees anymore. Not on the field, and now people like Ozzie the Clown free-swing in the media.

We need someone to say: “F you.” Not just do the talking with the bats and gloves (heaven forbid that), but for someone to say, “So-and-so can go f himself.”

7. Jeteupthemiddle
      February 23rd, 2006 | 8:13 pm

I’m not really sure if you guys are aware of the extreme sarcasm dripping from the letter?

Pretty much making fun of the rest of the media and such.

8. 13
      February 23rd, 2006 | 10:17 pm

Ay Dios.

Yes!! It was tongue in cheek. He is mocking the idiots that put this man down without reason.

9. singledd
      February 24th, 2006 | 4:13 pm

Methinks some readers do not understand sarcasm or satire. Often, a serious point is made with rediculous statements.

The author is NOT asking ARod to push old ladies, kick dogs or leer at women. He just wants him to be himself, and not be so concerned with what others think.

This is a comment about ARod that has been made by many. I like ARod. His ‘need to please’ doesn’t bother me that much, but it is what separates him from Jetes.