• Bowa On Base Running

Posted by on February 24th, 2006 · Comments (7)

From the Courant -

In fact, the Yankees’ coaching staff has been completely made over. Third base coach Larry Bowa, a fiery personality, is coaching base runners.

“I watched his clinic on base runners and it was very impressive,” Torre said. “Very common-sense talk.”

As in “Always make a left-hand turn when running the bases and not a right-handed one”?

Comments on Bowa On Base Running

1. Jason O.
      February 24th, 2006 | 1:19 pm

We should be in for a treat at least 2-3 times this year on a bad call at 3rd or 2nd….I really want to see Bowa lose control vs. an umpire.

2. February 24th, 2006 | 2:18 pm

Good point.
      Joe never argues.
      Zimmer did. And, other than Lee Mazz, I don’t think any Yankee coaches did.

It will be an element that the Yankees have lacked recently.

3. DownFromNJ
      February 24th, 2006 | 2:41 pm

Yeah, Larry Bowa is going to be fun to watch. Though personally, I’d like to see Paul O’Neil as 1st base coach. The watercoolers will fly again!

February 24th, 2006 | 2:58 pm

Good point.
      Joe never argues.
      Zimmer did. And, other than Lee Mazz, I don’t think any Yankee coaches did.
      ============================

No point in it. Unless the umpires clearly blow a call, there’s no point in arguing.

5. February 24th, 2006 | 3:28 pm

Disagree.

Remember a game against the Mets at Shea a few years back? Maz was the 1B coach and sold the ump on an interference play that never happened – and got Knobby and extra base. It was a FOX game.

6. JeremyM
      February 24th, 2006 | 8:38 pm

There were quite a few calls last year where I was begging for somebody to argue and we got nothing.

Remember the “interference” call in the Division Series?

February 25th, 2006 | 6:59 pm

Disagree.

=============

I suppose you’re right…

I also remember the “Denkinger affair” as well as Jeffrey Maier. Also remember ARod’s slap-tag two years ago as well as AJ’s mad dash to first last season.

I guess it couldn’t hurt, especially if umpires are really concerned with “getting the call right”