• Reading Between The Lines With Torre

Posted by on February 26th, 2006 · Comments (6)

Torre on Pavano, from the YES Network -

“I’m not banking on him Opening Day,” Torre said.

And, Torre on Leiter, from MSG -

Torre has been impressed with left-hander Al Leiter, who opted not to retire during the offseason and is in camp as a non-roster player.

“What I’ve seen so far, I like him,” Torre said. “When you look at it, there’s no room. But if somebody makes a case, you’ve got to figure something out. That’s the way I look at it.”

Remember what I said two weeks ago:

Why am I beginning to think that Al Leiter is going to be in the Yankees rotation this April?

Now, I’m really starting to think it.

Comments on Reading Between The Lines With Torre

February 26th, 2006 | 8:36 pm

He had nothing last year, and the year before that. What makes Torre think he’ll have something this year?

At the most, Leiter’s a situational lefty. That’s it. I’ll be suprised if he offers any more than that. I’ll be happy if he does, but I’m not expecting it

2. JohnnyC
      February 26th, 2006 | 10:24 pm

Poor Joe Torre. It’s a shame that Cashman, George and Tampa won’t let him make the team “younger, faster, and more athletic” like he wants. They saddle him with old, decrepit shit like Al Leiter. It makes one want to cry. Oh, Joe, poor Joe.

3. MJ
      February 26th, 2006 | 10:41 pm

JohnnyC, I’m confused. My understanding of your frequent commetns is that the poor decisions made by the Yankees over the years were at least in some part attributable to Brian Cashman and not the exclusive property of Steinbrenner and his Tampa Mafia. If that is so, then why blame Torre for not liking Pavano? Pavano is an overpaid, overrated free agent mistake who lacks the durability, toughness and composure to help us here in New York. He was signed by Cashman. Why is it now Torre’s fault that he won’t pitch a Cashman mistake?

I agree that Leiter SHOULD NOT be in the rotation. But Torre shouldn’t be blamed for trying to figure out a way around Pavano either.

4. David
      February 27th, 2006 | 11:05 am

Steve — Are you serious about Leiter possibly being a regular starter? I thought Torre was thinking of him as a candidate for LOOGY.

5. February 27th, 2006 | 11:16 am

I’m not saying that I would do it, but, with Joe……well, remember Donovan Osborne?

February 27th, 2006 | 12:03 pm

======

Even further back, Bob Ojeda?